Knife sharpening

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this but if it's in the wrong area maybe it will get moved. Anyway...
I have figured out that I'm terrible at sharpening knives so I thought I would see if anyone could offer up some tips on the correct way to do it. I think my biggest issue is keeping the correct angle.

I want to be able to sharpen my knives using stones rather than one of those quick sharpener deals. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Most manufactures recommend 45 degree angle but I go a little less.good piece of ceramic rod will finish off once you get close to being sharp.Make sure to get a good stone or yo can buy one of the newer honing kits.Also take a look at you-tube for help.

I don't use a stone anymore. Depending on the knife I'll use sand paper, going from 500 up to 2000 grit then stropping it on leather for a convex edge. I went to Dick's and bought this pocket Smith's diamond sharpener with a course and fine side, it works well IF you strop your blade afterwards. I can get a knife shaving sharp with only the Smith's and a leather belt.

The Lansky system is quick and will get a proffessional edge, easy for a beginner to get your knife razor sharp.

Thanks for the info. I've seen others on other forums mention the lansky so I may check into it. I also have one of the smiths diamond stones but like I said for whatever reason I can't keep a consistent angle so the only thing I've really done is dulled the knife I've been practicing on a lot more than it already was.
What type of sandpaper? Also for the diamond stone or the sandpaper do you use water or anything?

Man, I feel ya...but I never got the hang of it. Finally dropped the jack for a Chef's Choice 130.

Razor sharp every time. Shave the hairs off your arm...and you can "Steel" your blades on your kitchen knives for carving meat, etc.

Yeah, I cheated. But every knife in my house is razor sharp...

I just put a mirror polish edge on my carry knives today and now am sharpening my old hatchet

I just use a stone and then once I get it just right I wrap a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper around it and keep it under constant flowing water as I finish polish it.

It took me about 3 knives ruined before I got the free hand sharpening down. But that was over 16 years ago. I got it pretty down pat now, my friends give me their knives to sharpen.

My cousin owns Razor edge so you can say we come from a family a people that can sharpen knives...lol

The knife I've been trying to sharpen is a shrade gut hook. I've had absolutely no luck with it
You may just need to file a proper edge on it first and go from there. I've had to do it in the past and it did the job. I think sand paper may be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom