• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Knife Review- Norse Knives- Castaway Utility Multi Tool

klarktx

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
I received a PM from fellow member EugeneFJR a few weeks ago. He kindly asked if I would be interested in his sending me one of his knives/ multi tools. I of course said I would be more than pleased to.
I am not a writer by any means. I also want everyone to know that I do not know Eugene ( Mark) outside of this offer. I know nothing about Norse Knives and I have done no online research about them. So my opinions are just that. Opinions of a huge knife fan.

I received not one, but two of what seem to be identical tools.

This will be nothing but a box opening and beginning impressions and specs. I plan to be camping in Pennsylvania this weekend and I will put it to some tests.

The box proves to be generic in design, but the illustrations on the box give you a glimpse of the contents, building some excitement.
i41.tinypic.com_4rc8ki.jpg

i40.tinypic.com_4gp44z.jpg

Once I opened the box, I found a nice quality, black nylon sheath. The sheath seems to be better quality than some I have had. It has a large velcro closure, creating a solid securement. Another thing I like it the dual mount sheath. There is a vertical AND horizontal option. This IS NOT common. This also lends to an option to MOLLE mount.

i44.tinypic.com_2u9lg8z.jpg

Upon opening the sheath, I was caught grinning to find a decent size magnesium fire starter. It is secured in it's own small pocket. I am thinking it's location could possibly impede the withdrawal of the knife without removing the stone. I will find out when get practical use.

i43.tinypic.com_23m789k.jpg

Pulling the knife out, I first feel its weight and "bulk" feel. This is a beefy and stout tool. I has slightly textured black G10 scot scales. It is not a overly decorative appearance. It possesses a squared off look that I do not mind. Its unique.
While in a closed position, the lines are clean. The are really no protruding flippers, thumb breaks or other parts, Its a compact and useful shape.
The pivot screws are allen, as opposed by the sometimes dreaded Torx. Not everyone has these handy to clean and maintain their units. So it seems breakdown would be pretty straight forward.

i39.tinypic.com_dgjs6o.jpg

The Tool consists of two separate independent blades. They open in opposing directions, which is a fantastic design.

i41.tinypic.com_2571x5w.jpg

Opening the "standard" knife blade, its clear that the designer was intent on creating a tool that focused less on multiple blades/ types and incorporated into the minimal. Some may like the multi blades...but on the other hand, focus the quality on just two blades, simpler pivot joints and use better steel.
The knife side blade incorporates a surface that is half serrated, half straight. Its a decent grind. The steel type is not listed on the blade. My guess is it may be D2 steel. Not a premium steel. Tough but not known for sharpness retention.
At the end a gut hook is incorporate.

When testing sharpness of all of these, I will rank on a scale of 10 for factory edge.

Serrations= 6 of 10
Straight Blade= 5 of 10. Not hair shaving sharp, but did slice paper fairly well.
Gut Hook= 8 of 10. Surprisingly strong AND sharp.
On the blade top, there is a 2.5" hollow grind dual bevel. Not too certain its intent, but another cutting side could be useful.
There is a well made thumb stud. I was able to unscrew easily using my finger, so get out the LockTite. There is medium gimping on the blade ridge.
Also note there is a small triangle wire stripping cut near where the choil/ finger guard would be.. I did not try stripping any wire to test. I will also add that the knives are numbered/ sequenced. Knife collectors like this as it provides some exclusivity and lends to the notion this a controlled batch.

i40.tinypic.com_2e4du2a.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_2mzms0l.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.......

Last edited:
PART 2

The alternate blade is actually quite impressive.

It provides a VERY AGGRESSIVE saw blade on the entire length of its bottom edge. There are aprox 20 angled teeth. These lead to the blade end where you will find multiple tip types.

i44.tinypic.com_fz4z1x.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_313reb7.jpg

Two different flat head tips. One larger, the other smaller for use in a phillips as well I presume. There there is a middle standard prong. This contributes to the can opening configuration. Along the spine or the top of the blade is a less aggressive file type finish.

i42.tinypic.com_if5pxz.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_28qqlbt.jpg

Interesting touch. On the reverse side of this blade is a stripe of a high grit sand paper for what seems to be match strikes.

i44.tinypic.com_30kaq0l.jpg

Overall, I really like the tool. The designer has consolidated alot of tool/ features onto a minimalist platform, which I like.

Only things I can consider a negative/ critique are:

Blade is rather dull out of the box. I will put an edge on it before I haul out to the woods.

The other concern is the lockup with the liner lock for the saw blade. It extends out to approx 85-95%. There is no bevel to prevent slide off. I can imagine with hard use, the liner lock would jam across the opposite side or start to not hold lockup and create a free floating blade.
I will keep my eye on this.

The lockup on the blade edge side is approx 25%, which is good.

i41.tinypic.com_2isx1d.jpg

I want to thank Mark for allowing me to review and use his tool. I will certainly give it a fair use and review.

Klark

I do not know. It was sent to me as a review. I will have to wait for owner to jump in.

I can make a statement of what I THINK they should sell for based on quality and materials, but I was not asked for that.

Good write up. I like the overall lines of the knife.

I wonder if the hollow grind on the back of the knife blade was intended as a scraping edge for a flint? Maybe something to save the cutting edge- however the square edge on the back of most knife blades has always worked ok for me.

I'd really like to see someone incorporate a way to lash the knife onto a stick to be used as a spear. You're probably just as well off sharpening the end of a stick, but some tabs/holes for lashing seems like a good idea.

I'd like to thank Klarktx For this awesome review, I just found this thread.... I had this knife made off a prototype I designed, very long story short I had 1000 of them made to sell and market to knife makers such as Gerber, CRKT, etc., etc... I even had Blackie Collins give me a intro to every president of every knife company he knew. But no one want to build it for the mass market.

Awesome write up and can't wait for a test/review! I like where the designer was going with this and put some neat features while utilizing space.

I assume you have an example of your work? You creating something as a dream and the first production came out spectacular I presume.

We patiently await your submittals .........

Nope. I don't manufacture cars, but I can tell if I drive a poorly built one. Same with knives. The serrations are rough and uneven. The forged looking end was rough and unfinished. Look at those serrations..rough and uneven. Little details that indicate to me that not much care was taken when finishing the tool. That attitude makes me wonder which other corners were cut.

Back
Top Bottom