kill the hens!!!

The trend is for states to close fall seasons. With the popularity of deer hunting in GA, I doubt you'll see any of deer season given up to turkey hunters.

you are missing my point or maybe I did not make it fully, TN KY and several other states allow turkeys to be harvested during the fall during deer season , there is no seperate season for turkeys.

Sorry I was not clear... We also have more then enough turkey in GA now t allow a limited harvest..

yeah I have never hunted public land for turkey but I know the group I have seen where I do hunt the hens outnumber the toms 3-1 im sure one wouldn't hurt

It is difficult to over-harvest the turkey population with a gobbler-only season in the spring. A single gobbler is able to mate with numerous hens during the spring. After mating, a hen lays about 12 eggs and incubates them for 28 days. If a hens nest is destroyed, the hen is able to re-nest without mating again. A high spring gobbler harvest might mean that fewer birds are heard in the spring, but enough will remain to mate with the hens to produce good turkey populations for the future.

Back
Top Bottom