• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Keeping in contact after shtf

Bioshock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Fellow Traveler
85   0
Reaction score
While I am not sure a group situation is best,
What about keeping intouch for info,trading,emergency,warning.

What would be the best way?
Do you think it would work?

Some SHTF scenarios might leave the world sorta looking like they do today. In that case, just use your cell phone. Wouldn't that be great?

In the event of a much more serious catastrophe...

Walk on over and talk to your neighbors.
Short wave radio communications with call signs.
Preset daily/weekly check in times.
Preset meeting places.
Agreed upon field radio frequencies and time of day contacts.
An "oh crap I'm being robbed" code you can send out over the radio with mutual aid agreement.

All of the above require you to set these things up in advance. May not be a way to do it later unless you run into like minded people.

Yea the way the world is the bastard would probably steal the string so we couldn't even patch the connection. In a serious response cb and ham is going to be the best for a downed grid.

The test is not too hard, but you do have to study for it. Worth the effort however and the radios are not overly complex, well at least not all of them. There are practice tests here http://www.qrz.com/index.html that will help you get prepared for the real one.

I check out the link you posted and signed up "same name as here".
What did you use for the study guide? or what would you recommend?

I seen this advertised there will it work,is it worth the price or do you know if there is something better?

Technician Class Book & Software Education Kit

NEW 2010 Complete home study course with the 2010-2014 Gordon West Technician Manual HamStudy Software and FCC Part 97 Rule Book. Contains everything you need to pass the FCC No-Code Technician examination.

Back
Top Bottom