• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just finished first ar build need to borrow 5.56 headspace gauges

brocklee

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
I just finished my first ar-15 build and I want to check the headspace before I fire it for the first time so I was wondering if there I someone in the Dallas or Marietta area who would be willing to let me use theirs, I can't really justify spending the money for a set only to use them once or twice. I would be willing to come to you if you don't want to loan them out, if no one can loan me a set I'll just take it to a smith before I take it out for the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all

AR barrels are supposed to be factory headspaced when they put the barrel extension on the barrel. I never have had an issue with DD, Spikes, Colt or PSA barrels. (never tried any others).

Unless you installed the barrel extension, they're generally not needed. The headspace on an AR barrel is set by the barrel extension. If you had one out of headspace, are you going to replace the barrel or remove the barrel extension, set back the barrel and recut the chamber? IF so, you need at least a finish reamer, and barrel extension tool, might need to take off enough to reclock the gas port, blah blah blah.

so unless you bought an "out there" barrel, you should be good.

I could lend you mine, but we're too far apart.

And you can get improperly headspaced barrels. I will not buy/sell DPMS for this reason, they got me once & I've read of other examples with them.
I ended up going to my gun smith on my lunch break but this is the exact reason I wanted it checked, I went with an ar stoner barrel and everything checked out fine, I just wanted the assurance that I wasn't going to get any unwanted suprises. Thanks for all the replies though, IMO it was $15 well spent.

Back
Top Bottom