• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this True or just Local gun shop lore

My friend had his gun recovered in Chicago. After the case was over, they asked if he wanted it back. He did and they mailed the gun to the Sheriff's Office and he retrieved his pistol.

My friends gun was stolen from his car, Father's stolen while on lease to a friend and my uncles stolen from a pawn shop. All 3 were used in Robberies none of which were actually shot. The police recovered them saying they would return them once the investigation was over and magically all 3 were lost before. So yes they are supposed to return them but I'd say its rare they make it to that point. Have a spare just to be safe.

The "disposable Glock" theory from the O.P. gun shop story is unrealistic and farfetched, but it's reasonable to expect that a gun used in a self-defense shooting may not be returned for years, especially if the cops don't arrest you but they say we are considering pressing charges. They might say "pending an investigation" or they might simply say "pending whenever we feel like announcing the case is closed." That might not be after the statute of limitations has run for agg assault or any crime less than murder. The cops and DA's Office could be simply waiting to see if you get in trouble with the law again and if you do that would motivate them to go ahead with the prosecution over that use of deadly force incident earlier.

It's good to have more than one suitable defensive carry handgun in your gun safe, in case something bad happens to your primary one.

The "disposable Glock" theory from the O.P. gun shop story is unrealistic and farfetched, but it's reasonable to expect that a gun used in a self-defense shooting may not be returned for years, especially if the cops don't arrest you but they say we are considering pressing charges. They might say "pending an investigation" or they might simply say "pending whenever we feel like announcing the case is closed." That might not be after the statute of limitations has run for agg assault or any crime less than murder. The cops and DA's Office could be simply waiting to see if you get in trouble with the law again and if you do that would motivate them to go ahead with the prosecution over that use of deadly force incident earlier.

It's good to have more than one suitable defensive carry handgun in your gun safe, in case something bad happens to your primary one.
This is probably the most well thought out response on this entire thread, thanks for your insight

My buddy who lives in another state had his home broken in to, and guns were stolen. The thieves were caught immediately and the guns taken in to evidence. This happened almost two years ago and he still hasn’t gotten the guns returned. He’ll probably get them back at some point but they’re gone for all practical purposes.

Your firearm will be taken and you will be given instructions on how to reobtain your weapon (you will need case id # and another number that evidence will give you when you call). You will have to wait until all matters are cleared through court and after all that you have you go through a federal background check including finger prints. (Same as when you purchase a silencer or sbr) all together it took me about a year and a half to get mine back and I had to fight to get it back.

Back
Top Bottom