• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it worth reloading for 223/5.56

SRP have been the easiest to find, I buy a lot of them and use them for pistol and rifle. You can find them online and in some local retailers for that price. Set up notifications and when available buy what you can. I have cleaned out several local store when they are available.
So you are the one..... :)

I will reiterate what some others have said. For specialty ammo, and the more expensive stuff, reloading is beneficial, for range/plinking ammo, many times it isn't worth your time with all the brass prep and loading for rounds such as 223 and 9mm. Where you see the savings for sure is in expensive rounds like 45 colt, 454 casull, ballistic tip or hunting rifle ammo. Right now 38 special is some serious savings loading your own.

Currently I won't load 9mm (buy factory fodder), but save my primers for loading more expensive cartridges like 38 special, 380 ACP, etc that cost much more off the shelf than it should right now.

I recently have seen 35 remington on the shelf at $60 per 20 rounds. I can load it for <$10 box at current component prices.

Rosewood

Unless you have a 1050 or 1100 with a trimmer on it, it’s not worth it. Not for bulk 55gr plinking ammo.
I’ve got a Dillon 650 and an RCBS powered trimmer. I Chuck up a primer cutter in my lathe and can knock out the crimped primer pockets pretty quickly. I still have probably 4 hours or more in just processing 1,000 cases. That doesn’t include the loading them part!

This is my last batch of loading 223 and then all this stuff is getting stored in the attic for my kid to throw away one day.

Unless you have a 1050 or 1100 with a trimmer on it, it’s not worth it. Not for bulk 55gr plinking ammo.
I’ve got a Dillon 650 and an RCBS powered trimmer. I Chuck up a primer cutter in my lathe and can knock out the crimped primer pockets pretty quickly. I still have probably 4 hours or more in just processing 1,000 cases. That doesn’t include the loading them part!

This is my last batch of loading 223 and then all this stuff is getting stored in the attic for my kid to throw away one day.
Oh, he don't have to throw it away. I'll give him $50 for it and tote it off.

The only real addition I can make to the above is brass is reusable - figure reloading it 5 times.
I can also add the cost of the equipment required to process that much brass. Tumbler/ vibratory (wet or dry), case trimmer, micrometer, cartridge checker, powder scale, and crimp removal tools. Processing fired brass is time consuming leading up to the actual reloading.

Availability isn't my issue though. I haven't seen primers anywhere near $69.99 in person or online (even w/o hazmat and shipping) since pre-2020. I'm fine with paying $110/brick because this is a hobby but I'd obviously take that price if I found it lol

2 days ago i bought cci small pistol primers at Academy on the shelf for $69, and i have seen Winchester recently as well, guy said they have been coming

Alexander's in Blairsville has lots of powder and primers, FWIW, when I was there a couple of weeks back. Prices though, are high.

Lots of Bullseye, Unique, 2400, Retumbo, and seemingly all the AA powders. It was nice to see stocked shelves again, even though prices are high. I hauled a pile of stuff that I needed back to Texas. Nowhere around here sells reloading supplies, though I cannot discern a reason. Other parts of TX have supplies, just not here, and yet there are plenty of ranges about so it's not just a liberal aversion to guns.

Anyway, I'm still looking for Federal Gold Medal Match LR primers... even at $150/brick.

Back
Top Bottom