• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is buying an AR15 with the full intent of reselling it a STRAW SALE?

DMGun

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

We have all been amazed by the number of AR15's and other Semi-Automatic firearms that have been listed here in the past week.

I will not get into the ethics of doubling your purchase price at the expense of fellow ODT members - That is well covered in other posts.

From WIKI: Straw purchases can be illegal when made at a federally licensed firearm dealership. If the straw purchaser of the firearm lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun, he can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record.

My question is: If someone buys one or several new Semi-Auto's with the express intent of reselling them, does that become a Straw Sell?

I don't believe that what you describe would be considered a straw sale. However, buying from a dealer for the expressed purpose of reselling for a profit could be classified as being a "dealer" operating without a license. I certainly wouldn't put it on a public forum. Personally, I would not do it.

Many folks here freely admit to buying anything if they can use it for "trade bait" or flip it quick for some quick cash. Probably not a smart thing to put in public.

Also, the number of members here that sell dozens of guns a year are treading on thin ice as far as no FFL. Personally, I wish the BATFEy folks would get defunded and disbanded.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienience store, not a Fed department.

I don't believe that what you describe would be considered a straw sale. However, buying from a dealer for the expressed purpose of reselling for a profit could be classified as being a "dealer" operating without a license. I certainly wouldn't put it on a public forum. Personally, I would not do it.

This is accurate it is the same as selling reloads. Any expressed intent of a business that means profiting from sale or by buying multiples and selling most. Any thing that can be construed as an ongoing business.

Sorry bypass Too good not to take.
getaway.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom