• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Iron sights for "old guys"?

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
So, apparently I'm not 20 years old anymore, and need reading glasses for things close enough to me to hold. I can see the front post on my rifles/shotguns fine, but I can't get my pistol barrel out that far. So, aside from longer arms, can anybody recommend a good set of sights that are a little easier to distinguish than 3 dot trijicon? That's what is on my edc G26, but they get fuzzy real quick.
I pocket carry the G26, so no room for RMR, and no super extra tall serrated combat tactical sights will be comfortable.
I know in this crowd, I ain't the only one who isn't 20 anymore, so what are y'all using that is easier to use?

Lots of guys claim that the factory Glock sights suck but I dig the ons on my gen 2 G19. Believe it or not what I really dig is the ghost ring rear sight and bright orange front sight on my Hi Point C9.
But if you're having problems with finding the front sight the only thing I can think of is some kinda fiber optic front sight.

Trijicon HD sights may serve you well. The rear has a large U cut and the front has a large color ring around the tritium.

I would say fiber optic front and blacked out rear, but the fiber optic rods can break if struck hard enough. Pocket carry may not be the best location for them.

XS Sights Big Dot sights work great. I even put their Big Dot slip on front sight on my 870. Great little sights.

My eyes aren't that good anymore either. I can pick up the night sights though. The new gen 5 Glock sights are nice. In the day time the front sight is red/orange and rear is green. And at night they're green and you don't have to worry about a battery going bad. The fiber optic sights are nice as well, but I don't feel they're as durable. As already said, a laser sight is nice too.

That was me in my forties. In my late fifties even the rifle sights are sketch.

Here's the answer for your pistol question.

IMG_5168.JPG

I actually like Glock factory sights. Im 56 and they work good on my G27.

Ive got fiber optic on my G22 ,but its because they came on it ;)

I like the big XS setup too.

Second for XS dot sights, Ameriglo makes one called the Spartan that has a big red post that comes to a triangular point for precise aiming and is wider at the base for “faster” target acquisition.

Back
Top Bottom