• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Intratec Skorpion Tec-22

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I picked one of these tec 22's up from a very nice fellow member on here the other day, and I'd like to get it running better. the number one problem seems to be stove piping the round and beyond that there are many other problems but not as consistent as stove piping. I am going to try different ammo too, if most of my problems can be cleared by switching to another cheap bulk brand, then by all means I will do that. I do not want to have a .22lr that I can only run mini-mags and stingers through. This is such a cool little pistol and it takes my ruger mags so I really hope I can get it cycling reliably. Does anyone have any resources, tips, or experience with these? I've read tons of different stuff on the net but nothing that jumped out as great (besides one or two tips). The only good tips i read were having to do with one guy changing the ejector pin out for a volquartseen or whatever and the other had something to do with placing a few screws or something to position the mag better in the pistol. I do not know how to take the bolt apart to get the ejector pin out. Any tips would be great!

Also try different magazines to see if it's not a magazine issue. Magazines are frequently the issue in poorly feeding semi-autos. The ammo is always suspect in .22 rimfires but do yourself a favor and ask the seller if he found it ran best with specific types/brands of ammo.

Scrutinize the action of the extractor and its action. Does it pick up a round from the magazine without issue, does it lift up excessively and come off the cartridge rim as the round ends its cycle in the chamber and is the tip of the hook rounded off the extractor. Many of these inexpensive .22 rimfires have a stamped metal extractor with little additional machining and can often be at the heart of a misfeeding problem.

If that is good to go check to see if the fired case has a clear path to the ejector, does it catch the magazine on its route to the ejector.

I hope this helps. If you think there is a problem, post a pic of the problem if you can and I'm sure you will get a lot more feedback. Please post your progress and corrective action as I'm sure someone else has or will be in your shoes.

Here is a pic (center) that shows where the fired case was striking the right lip of the magazine. On the right pic, the extractor lifted up and off the rim of the chamber round as it was fully chambered and required minimal metal removal. I had to go slow and check/re-check frequently. I removed only small amounts metal until the extractor stopped picking up off the rim of the chambered cartridge.
i54.tinypic.com_w0t0s9.jpg

Last edited:
I found this: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-28876.html

Deuce85March 9, 2010, 02:03 AM
Ladies Ladies Ladies... gather round... First off Intratec had a few different "series" of the Tec-22. The first being the scorpion edition which I own that has the word SCORPION on the side. Later as the years past on to 1991 the SCORPION was replaced with TEC-22 the difference being the ejecter pin and spring are of bigger dimensions than the original Scorpion. Also some small differences with hammer. Now, it is true that the only "reliable" magazine to feed your hungry little scorpion or tec-22 is the butler creek steel lip magazines. HOWEVER...... if you are so inclined there is a method that will cease the ejection problems i.e your in the middle of firing when low and behold an empty casing is jammed in the bolt :( Well the problem is when intratec made your gun they made the ejector rod, if you will, too small. If you pull the bolt out of the gun you will see a small piece of plastic protruding from the plastic housing that has your trigger and hammer parts in it. This piece protrudes toward the magazine well. This is what knocks the empty casing off the ejecter on the bolt face throwing it clear of the ejector port..... BUT since it is too small the casing is cast out too late causing JAMS not good unless some bread is handy. SOOOOO we take a 3/16 allen wrench and cut a straight piece to .620 of an inch. drill a 3/16 hole in the end of the plastic ejector, and drill almost through but stop just short, if you punch through your screwed. Now when I say drill in I mean the hole should face the hole your bullet goes in, its not rocket science... Now you only want .416 sticking out of the plastic. Once you have the correct measurement you will want to bend the allen wrench piece, take it out of the ejector to do this, so that it is up against the bolt where the plastic piece would be. I suggest taking the plastic insert out and putting the bolt on top so you can see where they line up, the hammer will have to be removed so you can set them on top of each other. Do NOT let the allen wrench drag on the bolt. NOW this only works right off for Butler Creek HOT LIPS magazines. For other magazines such as the Steel Lips you will have to take a dremel grinder and do the following..... open top, remove bolt, STARE at the allen protruding from ejector, while STARING stick your magazine in until it hits the allen wrench. This is where you need to take your grinder and grind where the wrench hits. Grind ONLY where the wrench hits until you can stick the magazine in WITHOUT moving the wrench. Take care in your grind as too much to the right will cause the bullets to no longer be held down. NOW the steel lips + the wrench = PERFECTION. Intratec simply made the ejector too short. Oh and as for bullets go the MINI MAG CCI are the best to load. However with the ejector problems fixed I have been able to feed the new federal semi auto load .22 LR MADE for reliable feeding(so the box says) with no problem and they are about $15 for 325 as opposed to $21 for 300 Mini mag.

Thank you very much! I will post more info as soon as I can get out to the woods to play with it. Oh I also edited my post on my trade add for this little guy. Take care!

Little bit of an update, for some reason this pistol just doesn't like federal too well. I have been using my buttler creek steal lipped 25 round mags which seem to work better then the stock intratec one. I fired about 200 rounds of thunderbolts through it with about 5 stovepipes and a few failures to eject or actually grab the round out. I did some reading also, turns out I can put a ruger 10/22 ejector in it pretty easily. i'll take some pictures when i go shoot it tomorrow ramrod.

Well I narrowed my issues down to the ejector, I'm pretty sure, which is a good thing! I have only had a few feeding issues but I will post another update with pictures once I learn and play with it some more. This thing is going to turn out to be a lot of fun.

Well I narrowed my issues down to the ejector, I'm pretty sure, which is a good thing! I have only had a few feeding issues but I will post another update with pictures once I learn and play with it some more. This thing is going to turn out to be a lot of fun.

Cool! Pics-close up of the two ejectors and how they looked installed would be really nice. I always thought they looked like neat little pistols and them using Ruger magazines was a real bonus. It will be good to hear it's up and running hard.

You may want to post it in the gun review section, with pics. Tell your story and your pathway to a fun as heck plinker.

I still need to take pictures! But I figured I'd do a little update. For some reason, it does something weird on the first couple of rounds fired in a couple of my 25 round mags. BUT I ordered a Volquartsen ejector and as soon as it arrived I installed and went to the woods. I think it has cleared all of my issues up completely, what a cheap fix. Sometimes it still won't rock the slide back far enough to eject the spent shell, as if the recoil spring is too tight or just needs shooting, but this is rare. I went through about 300 rounds today of Federal bulk and probably had 10 FTE's(not stovepipes or anything just not quite enough blow back kick the shell out). This is not bad. I got it down low enough to where it is definitely fun to shoot! Thanks for the help ODT'ers!

Back
Top Bottom