• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Instructor’s takeaways from recent Guerrilla Sniper Course

We were doing drills in a course and I was the only one knocking down the target and stands.

They finally figured out I was running a 6.8SPC II with 115gr Sierra Hunter rounds.....

Mine is a 1:8" twist.

Nowadays, there is a much larger selection of match ammo for .308's in the 175grn range than in the 168grn. Of course, with everyone buying up ammo, there may be a shortage of the 175grn as it tends to be the more popular of the two.

If you aren't handloading, try the 175grn-178grn loads from Federal, Black Hills, Hornady (their ELD loads are superb), and the IMI Razorcore line. Surplus M118LR/XM118LR is great stuff, as well, but I don't see it as much as I used to.

If you want to try out some 175grn loads and can't find any, let me know. I can either help you find them, or float you some of my stash.

I'll I've fired out of the Bergara so far are 175grn rounds. I bought a case of 185's, but haven't got to the range yet.

With a handload of mine that is a duplicate of the M118LR load, I usually put 5 rounds into .33MOA at 100yds, and shoot .5MOA or better at distances like 400-600yds. That rifle with that load has been run out to 1,000yds by one of my students with no issues at all.

Excellent information - I will order some heavier stuff this weekend!

Mine is a 1:8" twist.

Nowadays, there is a much larger selection of match ammo for .308's in the 175grn range than in the 168grn. Of course, with everyone buying up ammo, there may be a shortage of the 175grn as it tends to be the more popular of the two.

If you aren't handloading, try the 175grn-178grn loads from Federal, Black Hills, Hornady (their ELD loads are superb), and the IMI Razorcore line. Surplus M118LR/XM118LR is great stuff, as well, but I don't see it as much as I used to.

If you want to try out some 175grn loads and can't find any, let me know. I can either help you find them, or float you some of my stash.

I'll I've fired out of the Bergara so far are 175grn rounds. I bought a case of 185's, but haven't got to the range yet.

With a handload of mine that is a duplicate of the M118LR load, I usually put 5 rounds into .33MOA at 100yds, and shoot .5MOA or better at distances like 400-600yds. That rifle with that load has been run out to 1,000yds by one of my students with no issues at all.

I do see some Lake City M118LR online for ~$1 a round.

Back
Top Bottom