If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

So I just want to get something clarified. If I go to a friend's farm to go plinking, is that considered sport shooting or are they talking about events such as competitions/matches? I currently do not have a GWL and was wondering if I could carry on the farm or not.

So I just want to get something clarified. If I go to a friend's farm to go plinking, is that considered sport shooting or are they talking about events such as competitions/matches? I currently do not have a GWL and was wondering if I could carry on the farm or not.

As long as you have permission from the property owner, you are on private property and it's perfectly legal to carry.

As long as you have permission from the property owner, you are on private property and it's perfectly legal to carry.

Thanks a lot. That's what I got out of reading the FAQ but I just wanted to make sure. I wasn't there when it happened but they've gotten the cops called even though they're outside city limits (cops ended up shooting with them). I just wanted to clarify in case a situation like that were to arise.

Would this fall under any kind of preemption since the school is a public state school and not a private establishment?

This may clarify for you. Pay particular attention to the last sentence I have quoted.

From Ga Packing:
School Safety Zone Georgia Code 16-11-127.1
"School safety zone" means in or on any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in or on the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.
A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;
A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflpol.php

Thanks a lot. That's what I got out of reading the FAQ but I just wanted to make sure. I wasn't there when it happened but they've gotten the cops called even though they're outside city limits (cops ended up shooting with them). I just wanted to clarify in case a situation like that were to arise.

With the expansion of population around the metro area, the biggest concern with shooting is to make sure you are obeying local ordinances pertaining to discharging a firearm. There are no across the board laws regulating it, so each local government can determine their own, as long as they don't preempt state law.

Greetings all,

I hope I am not breaking any rules since I am a newbie on here.... but there is a brand new booklet out: Georgia Weapons Laws: A Review of the Laws with a Layman’s Summary.

In addition to concise coverage of the 58 Georgia Laws related to weapons - associated Federal Laws and selected Corps of Engineers Laws that affect weapons carry. Sections have been added on the newest laws (HB 60; HB 826) signed by the Governor in April, 2014. The material is current.

• The booklet is 150 pages - spiral bound - and neatly laid out in optimal user-friendly style. A Rapid-Find Contents in the front expedites finding whatever Law you are looking for. Each law is followed by a Layperson's Summary in easy-to-read and understandable language. We decipher the legal jargon that you find in most laws.

Our booklet on Georgia Weapons Laws serves as an excellent resource for:

1. Those who have a carry license and wish to know more about the current laws (and wish to have a reference readily available);
  2. Individuals who work in firearms stores and/or gun ranges (to help answer the firearm law questions that are frequently asked);
  3. Law enforcement and security officers, as well as lawyers wishing to have a quick reference guide;
  4. Any person who owns a firearm.
For more information on this Book - GO TO: www.UrbanSurvivalCenter.net -

I hope this is a acceptable post...

Back
Top Bottom