If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

I am curious about 6 and 7 except with 6. Not just a 16 year old but someone with a carry permit and their company has a "rule" against carrying a firearm?...

If a person with a valid carry permit is at a place that is not illegal to carry under State law, but only against company policy, they aren't breaking any criminal law. Only a company's internal rule. They can be fired or disciplined, but not charged criminally. (Unless they're told to leave and they refuse, in which case it's criminal trespass.)

QUESTION 6 is about the "your place of business" exception to the carry license requirement.

I have a question.

Someone just told me that if you don't have a carry permit, you need to have the gun registered for house protection, defense.

I know that in the state of Georgia guns don't require to be registered, so if I buy a gun from someone here I can use it for house defense purposes, or do I have to get it registered?

You answered your own question.

You can't register it in Georgia if you wanted to --no place to do it, no need to do so.

If anybody in the Atlanta area wants to come to Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville tomorrow, Saturday the 15th, from noon to 2 or 2:15 p.m. Dan and I will be doing a presentation on both Georgia's gun laws (mostly about carrying, but some discussion of use of deadly force and justification laws too). And Dan will be giving a presentation on situational awareness, to spot potential trouble and react to it without being caught by surprise.

This is a free presentation. No sales pitch for any product, either. No registration required. Just come. Bring friends. Send somebody you know who is interested in safety and security and self-defense.

The seminar room at Bass Pro (Discovery Sugarloaf Mall) is located directly behind the laser-rifle shooting arcade game, and near the indoor climbing wall.

If anybody in the Atlanta area wants to come to Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville tomorrow, Saturday the 15th, from noon to 2 or 2:15 p.m. Dan and I will be doing a presentation on both Georgia's gun laws (mostly about carrying, but some discussion of use of deadly force and justification laws too). And Dan will be giving a presentation on situational awareness, to spot potential trouble and react to it without being caught by surprise.

This is a free presentation. No sales pitch for any product, either. No registration required. Just come. Bring friends. Send somebody you know who is interested in safety and security and self-defense.

The seminar room at Bass Pro (Discovery Sugarloaf Mall) is located directly behind the laser-rifle shooting arcade game, and near the indoor climbing wall.
Will definitely be there tomorrow.

Seven (7) interesting questions about Georgia's weapons carry laws. Some of them have answers, and others don't-- we'll just have to wait for a test case and the courts to sort it out.

1-- If you have a firearm that is a carbine with a 16.5" barrel, and therefore neither a "weapon" or "long gun" as those terms are defined in 16-11-125.1, are there any restrictions on where you can carry it, aside from school safety zones (and that's assuming that either you don't have a GWL, or you do but that HB 826 isn't good law).

2-- Same question as above, but for .17 rimfire handguns.

3--- Same question as above, but for any handgun with a barrel over 12". There are aftermarket 1911 barrels a foot long, and some "Buntline" revolvers had barrels that length. Plus those T/C Contender single-shot pistols. And then there are all those AK and AR pattern handguns.

4-- If you are defending the "habitation" of a parked unattended vehicle, can you use deadly force to stop somebody from stealing from it (entering an auto for the purpose of theft, regardless of the dollar amount of theft, is always a felony)?

5-- If you are defending your own home (habitation law or "castle doctrine" applies), must you "reasonably believe" that deadly force is "necessary" before you shoot? What if the intruder is doing one of the three kinds of crimes listed in the habitation law (16-3-23) but you probably could use a different tactic to end the offense and capture the intruder or make him flee without actually having to use your gun. If you choose to use your gun anyway, but admit it may not have been "necessary" do you still have the defense of habitation available?

6-- Can an 18 year old burger flipper, without any kind of carry permit, legally carry a loaded handgun in his pants at the McFatBurger restaurant where he works, if his company has a policy against weapons on the premises?

7-- If you're intoxicated by some illegal drug in the privacy of your own home, and an intruder breaks in waving a machete and screaming that he will kill you, can you discharge your firearm while intoxicated without violating Code section 16-11-134? If you think the answer is yes you can do that, what part of what law authorizes this?View attachment 425445

For part 7, my answer is yes. This is in 16-11-138, which means self defense or defense of others is also a defense to any violation in the OCGA regarding carrying of weapons. Wish I didn't work weekends. Would have liked to attend your seminar at Bass Pro.

Last edited:
Scenario question...

If I carried at a mall where "no gun" signs are posted, and a gunman starts firing on people; what could happen if I shot the gunman? Would I be prosecuted for having a firearm in a "no gun" zone? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom