• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

if ya planning a trip to Fla, rethink that, check points up at State Line,

7d65218f06740386-the-general-gif-find-on-gifer.gif

I am down in Coastal Alabama at my winter home, drove over on Interstate 10 to Pensacola this afternoon. They did stop everyone, just asked me if I am from Louisiana or New York? Then told me to have a nice day.

Reactions: GFB
The US constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate commerce between the several states. That obviously includes the mechanisms of interstate commerce like traveling on highways. It also includes shipments of goods as well.

The federal commerce clause implies that there is a limit on any state's authority to restrict people moving in and out of its borders.

This is called the dormant commerce clause. If states get out of line in this regard, the courts can find that they've overstepped their bounds and tread upon authority that only Congress has.

See City of Philadelphia v. New Jersey, 437 U.S. 617 (1978),
where the U S Supreme Court held that New Jersey could not block shipments of household garbage from neighboring Pennsylvania.

Look up FEMA powers and authority under a declared national emergency , and how that authority can be delegated by FEMA to local and state officials.

Did I read it right> you have to self quarantine for 14 days or the length of your stay. Whichever is shorter? So it sounds like another toothless shelter in place request .So the police at the border just stop and tell you that you need to quarantine?
Running any road block/checkpoint can get you locked up.

This is for people traveling I-10 from Louisiana. Louisiana was declared a hot spot for spread of the virus. The governor announced he had no plan to implement this on I-75. IF you blow past the checkpoint it's jail time and a fine. I'm headed to Texas tomorrow. Curious to see if anything happens along I-10 or I-20 around Louisiana.

Looks like they just put this in place for Texas also. Now I've got to decide whether to risk getting caught in a 3 hour traffic jam to be screened leaving Louisiana or I can drive up into Arkansas and drop down into Dallas via a 3 hour detour. Fun times.

I’m calling BS on this one. I just went to Nokomis Fla, went through two weigh stations and didn’t see any roadblocks.
Edit: This was a straight I-75 run.

Back
Top Bottom