• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

if ya planning a trip to Fla, rethink that, check points up at State Line,

zzmaxresdefault.jpg

:behindsofa:

Did I read it right> you have to self quarantine for 14 days or the length of your stay. Whichever is shorter? So it sounds like another toothless shelter in place request .So the police at the border just stop and tell you that you need to quarantine?
Running any road block/checkpoint can get you locked up.

The US constitution gives the federal government the power to regulate commerce between the several states. That obviously includes the mechanisms of interstate commerce like traveling on highways. It also includes shipments of goods as well.

The federal commerce clause implies that there is a limit on any state's authority to restrict people moving in and out of its borders.

This is called the dormant commerce clause. If states get out of line in this regard, the courts can find that they've overstepped their bounds and tread upon authority that only Congress has.

See City of Philadelphia v. New Jersey, 437 U.S. 617 (1978),
where the U S Supreme Court held that New Jersey could not block shipments of household garbage from neighboring Pennsylvania.

Things my grandkids will never experience

1. smoking in restaurants
2. Salad bar at Wendy’s
3. Pumping gas before you pay
4. Freedom

Also, when I was in my teens and working at the corner Gulf station in town,
The questions asked when someone pulled to the pump was “ fill it up? Regular or high test? Check under the hood for ya? And you washed that windshield too.
I used to open on Saturday morning and just loved the smell of the new tires that would hit you when you opened the door. Miss them days

There is also a "substantive due process" right, though not specifically enumerated in the Constitution, for citizens to freely travel between the states.

"The fundamental right, inherent in citizens
of all free governments,
peacefully to dwell within the limits of their respective states,
to move at will from place to place therein,
and to have free ingress
thereto and egress therefrom"

was recognized by the U.S. Supreme Court in U.S. v Wheeler, 254 U.S. 281, at page 293 .(1920).

Back
Top Bottom