• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I thought you could caryy where alcohol is served...

sounds like the guy went and got his gun to be an intimidating douchebag. you can carry, but if someone asks you to go, then leave

my buddy got asked to leave the original wafflehouse in avondale cause he was open carrying

The Fact that he left and came back with it in the small of his back , plainly wanting everyone to see that he had it. All this following the altercation mentioned in the article . Also i am pretty sure you are able to carry in places serving alcohol as long as you are Not Drinking .

No law against drinking while carrying. Maybe not a great idea, but not illegal.

"According to Chief Sorrells, Woods had a concealed carry permit, however; being inside an establishment that serves alcohol is a violation of his carry permit.

The license in Mr. Woods’ possession stated as part of Georgia Code 16-11-127; for the purpose of this code section, “public gathering” shall include , but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. The license was issued before Jan. 1, 2012.

Woods was charged with a misdemeanor charge of carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering. Woods was released on 11/26 after posting a $2,600 property bond."

A. I believe the chief is wrong. Not a violation.
B. So licenses issued before SB308 got signed in July aren't included because of wording on the back of the "older" permit? CRAZY
C. How is a restaurant a "public gathering" ?

I doubt this sticks, he either gets off or charged with trespass. BUT the guy is an idiot to leave and come back armed, he likely "announced" it when he got back. Carry if your gonna carry but don't to it after the fact to try and push your issue.

Last edited:
Well, those are essentially made up charges because no such laws exist any longer. It seems like this should be and and shut case. Only wrinkle is that he left and came back...but honestly, considering that he's getting charged with fairyland charges, I wonder if anything will stick at this point.

So this dude could sue for mental anguish, defamation of character and all that stuff?
false arrest ?

Good luck with that. These kinds of things never get traction.

Civilians can never use ignorance of the law as a defense but I am sure the chief will get away with it. "firearm at public gathering" Yup.

Back
Top Bottom