• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I think I've been had...

Argh...Hopefully, everything will work out and you've learned a valuable lesson. I had a friend who tried to rent out a room in her house a few years ago and put an ad on CraigsList (trouble right there). The supposed renter mailed her 3 money orders for $600, which would have covered 3 months of rent. Supposedly, the renter made an error and only wanted to pay for only one month's rent and asked her to send her to cash the money orders and send back the overage via Western Union, naturally. But the renter told her to deduct the Western Union fee...how nice. So I found out about all of this 2 days after it all happened, despite having told her specifically NOT to accept money orders, personal checks, cashier's checks, or anything but cash. She swore that the money orders cleared, and I tried several times to explain to her that they only appeared to have cleared. It took about 2 weeks for the money orders to bounce, by which time she had already spent the money to make her house payment and was not liable for the bounced money orders as well as overdraft charges.

When she told me that she had rented the room and received about $1,200 in overpayment by money order, my question to her was "Why would a complete stranger send you $1,800 with no contract or proof of purchase and trust you to return about $1,200 in overpayment?"

Argh...Hopefully, everything will work out and you've learned a valuable lesson. I had a friend who tried to rent out a room in her house a few years ago and put an ad on CraigsList (trouble right there). The supposed renter mailed her 3 money orders for $600, which would have covered 3 months of rent. Supposedly, the renter made an error and only wanted to pay for only one month's rent and asked her to send her to cash the money orders and send back the overage via Western Union, naturally. But the renter told her to deduct the Western Union fee...how nice. So I found out about all of this 2 days after it all happened, despite having told her specifically NOT to accept money orders, personal checks, cashier's checks, or anything but cash. She swore that the money orders cleared, and I tried several times to explain to her that they only appeared to have cleared. It took about 2 weeks for the money orders to bounce, by which time she had already spent the money to make her house payment and was not liable for the bounced money orders as well as overdraft charges.

When she told me that she had rented the room and received about $1,200 in overpayment by money order, my question to her was "Why would a complete stranger send you $1,800 with no contract or proof of purchase and trust you to return about $1,200 in overpayment?"

Yeah, I don't do money orders for this reason.

I can't help but notice that all the replies come from 100% poss feed back. Lesson= good people have good feed back, I'd give it a week or 2 to make sure its not a misunderstanding then give him a big fat NEG TO PROTECT OTHERS.

P.s. i used to loan people money that I didn't want around. It always worked

sucks for sure. Follow the advice above (except showing up on the doorstep) and hope for the best. It was only 50, so you will not be bankrupted, but it still sux. I send and recieve gift paypal all the time, but it depends on the member, duration of membership, and number of feedback. I am trusting to a fault, and likely will not change until I get burned. Good luck...and definitely leave negative feedback for the fraudster!!!

Back
Top Bottom