• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

Hmm... Yea I got 20lbs of sausage, backstraps and 4 ham steaks. Thing that tipped me off is I ordered up to 20 pounds of sausage and the rest as just plain ground meat, and some how I got exactly 20lbs of sausage
Yeah, you got screwed, big time. I can't quote a ratio (perhaps someone can) but it takes a LOT less than 20 pounds of venison to make 20 pounds of sausage. Sausage is normally made from the 'scrap' (ribs etc...) then added pork/beef whatever depending on what type it is. Who was the processor? Don't go there again. One more time... DORMINEYS!
I'm actually MORE concerned that I get MY deer than I get every last ounce but still, that would have had me making a scene.

And you didn't notice this before you left the processor? I just picked up a VERY healthy doe today that yielded nearly 60lbs of roast, ground and loins. If my guy had brought out 20lbs, I would have laughed and told him to try again.

Last edited:
Yes. Gutted would be "field dressed weight".
A good sized mature doe should give 40-50 pounds. A decent buck could be anywhere from 55-80+ #.
Biggest deer I ever killed I never weighed it but I was curious when I got the meat back from the processor and it weighed 90lbs.

Dang! I personally don't like the bones but hey whatever works for you. ;)
No bones or sausage, I always get mine cubed, ground, and leave the the backstraps alone. I sometimes process my own but there is a excellent processor between my hunting land and home so letting them do the work while I watch football is often times too tempting.

Back
Top Bottom