• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I remember why I do not use deer processors anymore.

Man you guys are killing me with these stories. I'd be so pissed if I was shortchanged on the meat.

I really have it good with my processor it seems. They just opened a brand new facility that is very nice. They will do just about any type of cut or combinations you want. They will change the percentages of beef fat added to the hamburger. The standard is usually 10 or 15%, and I always do 1/2 that amount. All packaging is both plastic wrap and paper, and each package is marked. They also will do hogs.

Hmm... Yea I got 20lbs of sausage, backstraps and 4 ham steaks. Thing that tipped me off is I ordered up to 20 pounds of sausage and the rest as just plain ground meat, and some how I got exactly 20lbs of sausage

Did you get the tenderloins? That is the best part of the deer.

I took a 150lb deer to a local processor years ago and got maybe 30lb of meat out of it. Another one of the local processors here would sell the "excess" processed deer meat at the end of the season and claim it to be "not picked up" by the person that had it processed. What a crock of crap.

I don't have anywhere to hunt. But my former neighbor from Gray killed a big one for me recently. He called and told me he was dropping it off at the processor for me. He asked how I wanted it and I gave the phone to my wife. She is way pickier than me. I wanted all ground and sausage. That was around mid November. About a week ago I called and asked him if they were going to call me or him when it was ready. That's when he told me he was trying to bag another one for me. And THAT was because the young ignorant 20 something guy he dropped my deer with didn't keep an eye on the temp in his cooler and wound up losing about 10 deer. I was so pissed I couldn't come up with a good response.
Like some of you have commented, my wife said we should have processed it ourselves. And normally I would agree with that. But we didn't have a meat grinder or the other supplies needed. But if there is another one bagged we WILL handle it ourselves even if I have to drive to Macon and get the supplies I need. I can just imagine how pissed the other folks are that lost their deer after the time and effort they put in.

I used a place off 78 and the jerky I got back all tasted like lighter fluid! Ruined the meat! And their reply was they won't do anything about it. So, I had the meat tested for contaminates and sure enough, it is! So, a few people have been contacted....

Back
Top Bottom