I must be in the wrong business if UPS drivers are getting paid

Worked at the Atlanta Hub off Fulton Industrial as an hourly employee (loader and pick-off) and primary sort aisle supervisor from 78 to 81. They're Teamsters. Management constantly had industrial engineers doing time and motion studies to optimize unload, sort, pick-off and load. Then the same engineers evaluated workers performance. It was tough as an hourly and as a supervisor. Made great money for part-time work, but it was hell.

They earn every penny. If not, they're not there long.

Easily 10 to 12 hour days. Plus anywhere from 5 to 6 days a week. For 3 months before Christmas life is absolutely hell. You never get a day off due to weather or anything. You better be dead or dying if you're calling in sick. You're literally running from stop to stop with packages.

Likely after about 10 to 15 years you'll have no cartilage left in your knees or ankles. If you get lucky enough, you might be able to to get a feeder job where you drive the 18 wheelers from site to site.

I had UPS deliver some mower parts today and the guy was more than two hours late which is actually normal for this driver. I can only imagine how that lateness translates into overtime. There's a lady driver who covers for him when he's out and she usually arrives in the early afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom