• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I just ordered one of these in 45 acp. Anyone have any experience with them?

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/719007671/tnw+asr+45+16.25+lu+dk+erth+13

719007671_1.jpg

45 Auto just doesn’t have much sectional density or speed, no “standard” handgun rounds do. You can, but I wouldn’t use it for deer. A .223 is MUCH more powerful and people bash it for hunting constantly. I know everyone’s best friend’s uncle kills them dead every year DRT with a .22 short from 400 yards, and has never lost a deer, but his brother’s 300 Win Mag always causes a 1/4 mile track with no blood even with perfect shot placement.

A .45 ACP carbine with its 16" bbl. is going to hit a lot harder than that same round fired from a 4.5" or 5 inch barreled defensive pistol.

And bullet placement is the key for a humane killing deer (at pistol ranges).
That carbine, equipped with an optical sight, is going to be much more precise and bullet placement than an open sighted handgun.

My cousin tried using handguns to hunt deer in a wooded area of Western New York where centerfire rifles were not allowed for deer hunting it was handguns shotguns or archery only. (And.... these were big deer. Much bigger than what we see in Georgia).

He successfully got several of them over the years using both a model 1911 in .45 ACP with a 5 inch barrel, and a red dot sight, and also
an 8 inch barreled .357 Mag revolver with open sights.

He'd limit his shots to about 30 or 40 yards. At that distance he could reliably keep a group the size of a softball.

A .45 ACP carbine with its 16" bbl. is going to hit a lot harder than that same round fired from a 4.5" or 5 inch barreled defensive pistol.

And bullet placement is the key for a humane killing deer (at pistol ranges).
That carbine, equipped with an optical sight, is going to be much more precise and bullet placement than an open sighted handgun.

My cousin tried using handguns to hunt deer in a wooded area of Western New York where centerfire rifles were not allowed for deer hunting it was handguns shotguns or archery only. (And.... these were big deer. Much bigger than what we see in Georgia).

He successfully got several of them over the years using both a model 1911 in .45 ACP with a 5 inch barrel, and a red dot sight, and also
an 8 inch barreled .357 Mag revolver with open sights.

He'd limit his shots to about 30 or 40 yards. At that distance he could reliably keep a group the size of a softball.
Oh no, I was wrong. Not the best friend’s uncle, just a cousin. 45 Auto is still underpowered compared to modern center fire rifle and magnum handgun rounds, especially the big bores. I didn’t notice any relevant remarks on tracking distances or DRT percentages. How many did he admit to loosing?

I personally helped my cousin sight in these handguns & test himself to see if he could keep the necessary groups from an improvised field position (as contrasted with shooting across sandbags at the range). He could do it well (the 1911 was a gun he used in IPSC shooting with iron sights, and slow fire bullseye competitions when it was wearing the red dot optic).

Yet he knew his limitations
(ever see the Clint Eastwood movie where he says a man "has got to know his limitations"). My cousin never lost a deer and they never went more than 50 yards before dropping dead. About 50--- he said he never had to leave his friend's property to follow a wounded deer, and it was a pretty small piece of land.

But , feel free to ignore this real world experience and stick your face back into your ballistics tables and talk about sectional density and kinetic energy.

QUOTE: "45 Auto is still underpowered compared to modern center fire rifle and magnum handgun rounds"

YES, that is certainly true. But that doesn't mean it is too weak to reliably kill Whitetail deer in the South, in thick woods where your distance to the animal is likely to be 20 to 40 yards.

Back
Top Bottom