• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am slap out of ideas?

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Needless to say the gun is well the barrel anyway is screwed. This is my 5th or 6th attempt with about 2 hours each time of trying to get all the rust out of this Barrel. I have put a bottle of solving through it, a large bag of 50 caliber patches, flooded the bore with Dawn dish washing detergent, poured boiling hot water down the barrel for the first go round. I've been up since 3:00 this morning (which is a blessing I usually don't sleep at all but I managed to get two and a half hours ) and I'm now on my second bottle of spray cleaner hoppy's brand in a spray bottle, ran a brush through it about a hundred times
( and that's not an exaggeration ) very rapidly, ran solve it soaked patches through it again and another attempt at the hot boiling water situation. And I kid you not it's like I have never even started. This is just what come out of it this morning and this is the third attempt at trying to get this Barrel clean and I cannot believe how much the sparrow wants to hold on to this corrosion. It's starting to, forgive my language piss me off! I'm not going to charge the guy for the work I'm just going to ask for the price of the supplies black back because that stuff is not cheap especially when you use it and gobs like I have. I mentioned to him that it might be corroded when I got the barrel but he just said " no I will clean up just do it the best you can. ". Well I'm just going to run the brush through it a few more times to get the patch strands that have hung onto the rough corrosion through it oil it down put it back together and give it to him. I'll take the bolt and plug out and show them the barrel and he'll just have to deal with that.

It still has a tag on the trigger so I'm guessing he got a hell of a price on it at a pawn shop or something like that. I'm not even sure they make Traditions rifles anymore so a re barrel would be probably more costly than just buying another muzzleloader even if they do still make them. I think it's their entry level in line muzzleloader anyway. He's got about 40 or 50 guns sitting in a humidity Rich environment and I know they're not clean.

This pic is just what I pulled out of it this morning are pushed out of it rather with a brush and cleaner. Before I readjusted the paper towel I got a bunch of it on the bench which won't wipe off so that's not the total of what came out. And when I poured water down the barrel, Oh my Lord! I know I'm just beating the dead horse here with trying to clean it but when he looks down the barrel with the flashlight I wanted to at least look like there's no crystals formed the rifling. Because right now it still looks like just a straight rusted Barrel on the inside with a bunch of pitting. I have not even knocked the dent in the rust. So I revive this subject in a second thread asking for ways to get this rust at least under control or to knock it down smooth somehow. I just don't want the guy to look at me like I'm crazy when I asking for $25 for cleaning supplies. He did say I could come out and shoot on his land anytime I wanted to so I'm not going to charge him anything for just doing the work. I do however, want to make it look like I did something.

Lewis is one of the kindest old souls there is but he was one hell of a mean dude in his youth and me being a hyperactive youngen he loathed me. I guess we both settled down in our old age and realize that we're actually both decent humans.

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_061413400.jpg
    IMG_20230625_061413400.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 28
Why not run a hundred rounds of hard ammo through it? Corrosion is a natural process that converts a refined metal into a more chemically stable oxide, or oxidation.

If your surface has corrosion, a hard bullet is going to polish the metal faster and harder than a bore brush, and soap is just teasing with fingers in ears and wiggling fingers.

Needless to say the gun is well the barrel anyway is screwed. This is my 5th or 6th attempt with about 2 hours each time of trying to get all the rust out of this Barrel. I have put a bottle of solving through it, a large bag of 50 caliber patches, flooded the bore with Dawn dish washing detergent, poured boiling hot water down the barrel for the first go round. I've been up since 3:00 this morning (which is a blessing I usually don't sleep at all but I managed to get two and a half hours ) and I'm now on my second bottle of spray cleaner hoppy's brand in a spray bottle, ran a brush through it about a hundred times
( and that's not an exaggeration ) very rapidly, ran solve it soaked patches through it again and another attempt at the hot boiling water situation. And I kid you not it's like I have never even started. This is just what come out of it this morning and this is the third attempt at trying to get this Barrel clean and I cannot believe how much the sparrow wants to hold on to this corrosion. It's starting to, forgive my language piss me off! I'm not going to charge the guy for the work I'm just going to ask for the price of the supplies black back because that stuff is not cheap especially when you use it and gobs like I have. I mentioned to him that it might be corroded when I got the barrel but he just said " no I will clean up just do it the best you can. ". Well I'm just going to run the brush through it a few more times to get the patch strands that have hung onto the rough corrosion through it oil it down put it back together and give it to him. I'll take the bolt and plug out and show them the barrel and he'll just have to deal with that.

It still has a tag on the trigger so I'm guessing he got a hell of a price on it at a pawn shop or something like that. I'm not even sure they make Traditions rifles anymore so a re barrel would be probably more costly than just buying another muzzleloader even if they do still make them. I think it's their entry level in line muzzleloader anyway. He's got about 40 or 50 guns sitting in a humidity Rich environment and I know they're not clean.

This pic is just what I pulled out of it this morning are pushed out of it rather with a brush and cleaner. Before I readjusted the paper towel I got a bunch of it on the bench which won't wipe off so that's not the total of what came out. And when I poured water down the barrel, Oh my Lord! I know I'm just beating the dead horse here with trying to clean it but when he looks down the barrel with the flashlight I wanted to at least look like there's no crystals formed the rifling. Because right now it still looks like just a straight rusted Barrel on the inside with a bunch of pitting. I have not even knocked the dent in the rust. So I revive this subject in a second thread asking for ways to get this rust at least under control or to knock it down smooth somehow. I just don't want the guy to look at me like I'm crazy when I asking for $25 for cleaning supplies. He did say I could come out and shoot on his land anytime I wanted to so I'm not going to charge him anything for just doing the work. I do however, want to make it look like I did something.

Lewis is one of the kindest old souls there is but he was one hell of a mean dude in his youth and me being a hyperactive youngen he loathed me. I guess we both settled down in our old age and realize that we're actually both decent humans.
At this point I would blink the nipple with a toothpick, fill with white vinegar and let set overnight. Rinse well, brush, oil the bore.

Why not run a hundred rounds of hard ammo through it? Corrosion is a natural process that converts a refined metal into a more chemically stable oxide, or oxidation.

If your surface has corrosion, a hard bullet is going to polish the metal faster and harder than a bore brush, and soap is just teasing with fingers in ears and wiggling fingers.
For one thing I don't have any muzzle loading components. I'll be darned if I'm going to go out and buy a hundred rounds worth of stuff to do it with. Of course any other suggestions are welcome. I am going to try the vinegar trick today.

"you got to know when to hold-em, know when to fold-em, know when to walk away......."
This I understand. If it were mine I would scrap it for parts. Sell it off to Numerich guns parts for parts or something. I am almost to the point to just running a very fine grit sand paper and but that would definitely screw it up even more. I will give the vinegar method and call it ( All I can do ) period. Just hand it back and break the bad news.

If the bore was pitted the rifling is now damaged and while you may still shoot it, it'll never be worth a tinker's damn and it will be difficult to load and to clean afterwards.

I use these to light the inside of the barrel (so I do not need to remove the breach plug). They work great.

Back
Top Bottom