• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I-16 shut down between Macon and Savannah

SERIOUS COMMENT: I know I'm a lawyer, not an engineer, but I find it hard to believe that a modern bridge --which generally just rests on its supports without being mechanically bolted to them-- could not be slid back into the correct position.

NOT SO MUCH:
If the highway department wanted to knock the bridge deck back into position,
try doing it the same way it was knocked out of position-- by taking a well-used $75,000 tractor-trailer sized dump truck loaded with debris, and wiring it to drive by remote control, and ram it!!
I think the DOT could sell the film rights to that, and make enough money to pay for the entire project.

This could be a pay-per-view opportunity!

There's no money to be had if you just put it back. Don't forget, this is a Federal Highway and Union Prevailing Wage is probably involved somehow.

PTO's in dump buckets are engaged by pulling a knob on the dashboard with a cable to the PTO that engages a chain driven pump to the piston. There's nothing to get around.

I have not seen a chain driven PTO on a class 8 truck. The PTO is attached to the bottom of the transmission and is gear driven off the main shaft. Most are now engaged by air. You would definitely hear the grinding noise if you tried to engage it without the clutch depressed.

BTW, local truckers say the driver is telling everyone his wife accidentally hit the "raise button" while going down on him. I personally wouldn't have told that, but having been a trucker at one time, I guess that explanation is preferable to "I am such a dumbass I didn't notice my trailer in dump mode while driving down the interstate"!

Driver's new nickname: Bobbitt

didnt take long to tear it down, taken this morn before daylight
i16.jpg

BTW, local truckers say the driver is telling everyone his wife accidentally hit the "raise button" while going down on him. I personally wouldn't have told that, but having been a trucker at one time, I guess that explanation is preferable to "I am such a dumbass I didn't notice my trailer in dump mode while driving down the interstate"!
"Hit the raise button" LOL. Obviously not a proven method for dealing with ED :doh:.

Maybe the coverage will keep 4 wheelers from cutting rigs off for a while.... Yeah right you'd think no one would want to be in front of a vehicle heavy enough to knock a bridge or even a building down in a 4-7k lb vehicle. that takes 5-7 times as long to stop a the car they're in. Oh well

Brings a whole new meaning to ''cum dump''

Back
Top Bottom