• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting rifle set ups

I know what my buddy will be using this season.
His browning BAR .270 semi.
Great story to share in another topic but he took two bucks and a doe all within 30 seconds of each other during the rut 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: MRH
I know what my buddy will be using this season.
His browning BAR .270 semi.
Great story to share in another topic but he took two bucks and a doe all within 30 seconds of each other during the rut 2 seasons ago.

I've been hunting with a BAR in .270 since I was 14 years old. Fantastic rifle. My favorite rifle of all time, actually. Pulling off a hat trick is certainly feasible with a BAR.

I had an old Redfield wide view 2x7 mounted on my BAR for many years, then switched to the Revolution when they came out a while back. Redfield is now owned by Leupold.

I just took my Savage 10 rifle with its cheap Bushnell or Tasco (I forget) scope and shot 4 rounds:

1 fouling shot at 25 yards, and then:

3 shot group at 200 yards.

My group was 1.25" wide. Two shots nearly touched each other, and the third was up above them both.

This is from an improvised rest, laying prone on the ground with the rife propped up on my gear bag.

THE BAD NEWS: The last time I shot this gun, a few years ago, I know I had it zeroed at 200 yards, and I think I had my scope set to 9X for those shots. This past weekend the light was fading in the evening as I did this, so I lowered the power to 6X, and the image through the scope seemed better. But my group was 4" high!
Not even close to the 200 yd. zero I expected.
I'm using the same ammo.
Maybe my cheap scope has some misalignment in it, so that if you change the zoom, you change the zero?
IMG_0810.JPG

My Mossberg patriot .30-06. It doesn't look like your typical deer rifle but everything on it has a purpose. The stock pouch holds my rangefinder, the blood for the homemade box stands and the vortex scope for long range and crystal clear shots.
20170130_175821.jpg

Figured I would update since over two years ago. Still same 1975 Remington 700 BDL .30-06, just now it wears a Leupold vxii 3-9x40 CDS and a Silencerco Hybrid and my side kick is for the past year or so my baby my S&W 629-1 3" 44 Magnum. That's my general woods gun period.

For fun see how many deer you can count in my last picture in the scope view.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

20170428_212032.jpg

Gotta brag, I got a nice 742 woodsmaster today in a trade. So now I have three deer killing rifles to use. Top is wife's Remington 7600 .270 middle is my new 742 .30-06, bottom is Mossberg patriot .30-06. Now if I can save and find a .30-30 and .300 win mag I'll be set for for all the hunting rifles I want. October can't get here soon enough.

I was trying out my ATN-X on my 30-30. Now I have my trusty Leupold VX-1 on it.
Miss December 2015.JPG

Now I have my ATN-X on my M1A for hog and coyote hunting.
M1A SOCOM with ATN X.jpeg

Wish me luck.

I have to be honest... I can't count the number of times I seriously considered using it on a noisy squirrel.

Back
Top Bottom