• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting Rifle- Need a little advice and insight

2000 dollars for a hunting rifle??

Don`t let my baby,the 150 dollar mauser I have used for 35 years hear you. i told him he was the best there was for all these years, now he`ll get a complex.......

Now if I had 2000 dollars the wants, would be a long list.......good luck with your hunting.
Why not? That's not a terribly high price for a good quality piece of craftsmanship. I just parused the Blasers and Merkels this weekend, not a one of them under $5k.

Alright guys, I'm ready to upgrade my deer rifle and seek a little help. I'm currently slaying with a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM and on top is a Swarovski 2.5x10x56. I'm sticking with this caliber, although I'd entertain any strong arguments for others and this scope. Basically I'm looking to just upgrade the firearm. I was set on a Sako Tecomate, but they've halted production and currently aren't available and there's not an abundance of used ones. So obviously, high production rifles are okay, as we'll as lower end customs.... I wanna stay south of $2000. Oh yeah, the last bit... It would be really nice if it was available in LH.... As I've never owned a LH bolt and yes, I'm Left Handed. Sorry for the long posts, but thanks in advance for your help. Also, it's my first thread.

Is the $2000 for just the rifle?

You have a great set up for deer now. Your rifle is a good choice(the caliber may be overkill, but we've all done it) and the scope is great glass. I understand and appreciate a man wanting a new rifle and buying a nice rifle is a solid investment. I've never seen a rifle"go bad" if it's taken care of and can give generations to come pleasure and enjoyment. Now let's get to the topic.

If you want to get a different rifle there are many choices. If your keeping the .270 wsm I would opt for a more shooter friendly round that still has the power to take down a white tailed deer. I like magnum guns as well, you just don't need them. Caliber choices could be .260, 7-08, 308 for basics. I I bought a 6.5 creedmoor a couple years back.....amazing in every way!

If you want sako, the 85 now is the flagship! I'm not as crazy about these rifle as I am the 75's or the earlier models. They shoot great like all sako rifles....just don't like the aesthetics as much. The Tecomate is a slick looking rifle and they give you a much better feeling stock with the B&C they put on them. Good news too, I believe Cabelas bought all the left over beretta inventory and will be selling them. Bad news, only the two original calibers. 270 & 300 wsm. Beretta will be producing a similar rifles but will include several other calibers....sometime in the future.

Kimber makes some beautiful rifles as well. Remington KS rifles are quite nice as well. The choices are endless. I would still try a short action non magnum round if all you intend to do is deer hunt. You will see AMPLE performance on deer sized game and larger animals.

If your stuck on a magnum, hit me up as I've got a sako 75 in 300 wsm. It is a beautiful rifle and I'm not really looking to get rid of it, I just don't enjoy shooting it because of the recoil. It's not super brutal, it's just more than I enjoy anymore. Super accurate, solid rifle. It does have a McMillan sako hunter stock it is piller bedded with marine tex.

Your scope choices ad endless..... So many good one these days.

Best of luck d500lnn

Check out the Nosler line of Rifles. I want to say a few months ago I saw a LH .270WSM on GB.com for around that price range.
The reason this stands out in my mind is that I too am LH.

Thought about getting Shaw to build you a rifle? You can pick from a laundry list of options. Can't remember if LH is one of them though.

I am speechless. Great rifle...even though it isn't something I'm partial to. I want that glass!

And to think I'm whining about taking an 800 dollar setup in the woods!

I say shoot a custom! Caliber is negligent...they're all going to do the job. Nowhere much you're going to take a 300+ yard shot.

My vote is a 6.5 custom.

Alright guys, I'm ready to upgrade my deer rifle and seek a little help. I'm currently slaying with a Tikka T-3 Lite Stainless in 270 WSM and on top is a Swarovski 2.5x10x56. I'm sticking with this caliber, although I'd entertain any strong arguments for others and this scope. Basically I'm looking to just upgrade the firearm. I was set on a Sako Tecomate, but they've halted production and currently aren't available and there's not an abundance of used ones. So obviously, high production rifles are okay, as we'll as lower end customs.... I wanna stay south of $2000. Oh yeah, the last bit... It would be really nice if it was available in LH.... As I've never owned a LH bolt and yes, I'm Left Handed. Sorry for the long posts, but thanks in advance for your help. Also, it's my first thread.

I have a friend who is a gun dealer and last week he had a near mint Browning A Bolt Medallion .270 Win...and it was left handed for $450...I could not believe it. It was a $1k rifle. Absolutely beautiful. I told a friend of mine about it because he is left handed so he called the next morning and it was gone. Obviously I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I recommend Brownings. That is my brand of choice. They have never failed me. I have hunted with the same Browning for 25 years and the quality is exceptional. The proof is in the results and I have taken a slew of deer with mine. If you can find a Browning A Bolt Medallion in lefty I say get it. They are awesome...And if that is not enough, they are beautiful to look at as well. It may not be the most important thing but it doesn't hurt either. I am a sucker for rifles with beauty. I'm an even bigger sucker when they perform like a Browning. My only issue with Brownings is the weight. Most of them are fairly heavy. If you tote one 5 miles in a day you may wish it were a bit lighter.

I have always shot .270 Win. and it is devastating on the 200+ pounders and neat and clean for the smaller does..Good for short range and good for long range. There is not much real difference between .270 Win and a .270 WSM. I have never owned a WSM but I am sure it is a fine caliber.

I would also like to say that the set up you have now sounds like a pretty good one. If there is nothing wrong with the rifle itself I say stick with it. If it works good for you and you are comfortable with it, this is all that really matters. I have several different rifles, and 2 Brownings, but I still carry my same old Browning BAR alomost every time I go to the deer woods. It is "Ol' Trusty". Just you look at erkinator's post. He hunts with a $150 Mauser and I'll bet he has killed many deer with it. It is his old companion, his "Ol' Trusty"...He is comfortable with it. That is all that really matters.

Best of luck with your choice whatever it may be and most of all, best of luck with your hunting.

Call the Savage factory and have the rifle you want built to your specs. A lefty with all the bells and whistles should be no problem. They don't have a "custom shop" per say but they will custom assemble a rifle from the long list of factory options just for you. You can even pick your serial number if it hasn't already been assigned and they will custom laser engrave the bolt for you.
I have a left handed, semi heavy barrel that is stainless, fluted and has an adjustable brake that can be turned on or off (sleeved) in 30-06 with a detachable box mag and synthetic stock. ( Model 116FLCSAK) It's my favorite bolt rifle and shoots under a half inch with hand loads. ( there are a couple of guys here that can attest to this)Not an internet half inch but an honest half inch, As in take a business card and divide the back into six equal squares with a pen, Then neatly place 5 shots into the center each of the squares one at a time with room to spare. This is what a genuine sub MOA gun does. You can certainly pay a lot more and get a lot less.
If a Savage is beneath your standards for a custom I understand.

(413) 568-7001 ext 4399 for Special Orders

Last edited:
I own a Sako and would not trade it for the world...I also have 3 Rem 700's. You can get a good 700 BDL VLS or SPS for 500 -700 and with a little tweeking have an outstanding hunting rifle for under 1k (with a good scope)...My 700 VLS (heavy barrel).308 shoot sub-MOA all day long and all I did was Lap the bolt...Brown is Down...

There is a nice A-Bolt for 800.00 on ODJ now that I would love to have as a Hunting rifle...Check it out...

Back
Top Bottom