• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hunting Rifle- Need a little advice and insight

Only one way to go now, Go full custom... http://www.gradousrifles.com/index.php I'd use a M700 Rem action or a Clone thereof, do one in what ever action length you need for the caliber of your liking. If you like the 270 WSM then go with it but for what it's worth if you do a full custom go on and get a 270 WBY. Get a Krieger, Rock, Hart or whatever barrel you like. Go full stainless then have it cerakoted. Get a McMillan stock. Get a Timney, Shilen, etc. trigger. Have the barrel fluted, twist fluted, or whatever you desire in whatever profile/weight. Keep it long or shorten it to be handy. When you go custom, it's YOUR creation from top to bottom. I personally had a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless built. Used a SS pacnor barrel, a high end Winchester Supergrade walnut stock, SS bottom metal and then had everything coated in Cerakote Midnight Blue. I did a 338-06 A-Square. Pushes a 200 gr. 338 Accubond pill around 2750fps. Some laugh at that speed but for my normal deer hunting ranges (inside 300 yards) it smokes them!

Last edited:
Call the Savage factory and have the rifle you want built to your specs. A lefty with all the bells and whistles should be no problem. They don't have a "custom shop" per say but they will custom assemble a rifle from the long list of factory options just for you. You can even pick your serial number if it hasn't already been assigned and they will custom laser engrave the bolt for you.
I have a left handed, semi heavy barrel that is stainless, fluted and has an adjustable brake that can be turned on or off (sleeved) in 30-06 with a detachable box mag and synthetic stock. ( Model 116FLCSAK) It's my favorite bolt rifle and shoots under a half inch with hand loads. ( there are a couple of guys here that can attest to this)Not an internet half inch but an honest half inch, As in take a business card and divide the back into six equal squares with a pen, Then neatly place 5 shots into the center each of the squares one at a time with room to spare. This is what a genuine sub MOA gun does. You can certainly pay a lot more and get a lot less.
If a Savage is beneath your standards for a custom I understand.

(413) 568-7001 ext 4399 for Special Orders

I gotta agree with BHJ. I've sold two Sakos lately. Ive bought 2 savages. They are no the quality of Sako, but daummm they shoot!!!! I just figured you wanted higher dollar higher quality gun.

Back
Top Bottom