• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How's your season so far?

A very frustrating season. I hunt bow only and have painted my self into a box. The club I'm in is a 120" or better. Seen plenty of sub 120s. I hunt on my own property as well and don't harvest does here, they are the bait for the bucks. I also have a small lease so my dad can go shoot what ever with a rifle. Seems I see plenty of does where I don't want to shoot does, plenty of small bucks where I can't shoot under 120 and don't want to kill anything until dad gets a shot. I hunted up in Wisconsin and those deer had my number apparently. I need to break the ice soon, it's driving me nuts.

A very frustrating season. I hunt bow only and have painted my self into a box. The club I'm in is a 120" or better. Seen plenty of sub 120s. I hunt on my own property as well and don't harvest does here, they are the bait for the bucks. I also have a small lease so my dad can go shoot what ever with a rifle. Seems I see plenty of does where I don't want to shoot does, plenty of small bucks where I can't shoot under 120 and don't want to kill anything until dad gets a shot. I hunted up in Wisconsin and those deer had my number apparently. I need to break the ice soon, it's driving me nuts.
Go hunt public land ,there's plenty of wma that you don't have to get drawn for a quota hunt

Go hunt public land ,there's plenty of wma that you don't have to get drawn for a quota hunt
I'm WMA archery hunting and it's maddening. The WMA I hunt is pretty isolated but the problem is that motobikers and the local golf cart community has claimed squatters rights and I've been trying to find ways to dissuade them from taking leisurely tours of the WMA on their golf cars and 2 stroke off road vehicles at their apparent favorite times of sunup and sundown twilight periods.

Haven’t shot a thing. I can tell I’m getting old cause I’d rather sit and watch deer than kill them.

Seen one good shooter but couldn’t get him to stop for a shot and didn’t wanna risk a bad one.

Having the toughest year I've had in a while. Should be bucked out but I suck at hunting. I have more hours in the stand this year than I did the last 3 years combined. Probably pushing too hard but I'll keep pushing. It's gonna turn around soon.

The coolest part of my season so far is I've been mentoring a life long friend who's getting into hunting from Fl. I put him in a stand at sunrise and not 1 min into climbing in the stand two deer walked out in front of us(I was on the ground) and he plugged one. Next day I put him in the same stand and a decent 6 point walked out after an hour. He was like "I shot him perfect in the shoulder" 200 yds of bumping him through thicket and thorns later we realized he shot low through both his legs through his brisket no organs hit. He learned a lot in two short days. They come easy and sometimes not so. The night after he shot the first deer we were talking and I told him "There's one certainty with hunting. The longer you hunt at some point you might lose one." Luckily we found and dispatched him. I would of had us wait and not bump him but there was no blood anywhere except where he had shot him. Once we bumped him and lack of blood I knew it was an injury shot and if we didn't we would of lost him. First bump I could see that he was lame.

The coolest part of my season so far is I've been mentoring a life long friend who's getting into hunting from Fl. I put him in a stand at sunrise and not 1 min into climbing in the stand two deer walked out in front of us(I was on the ground) and he plugged one. Next day I put him in the same stand and a decent 6 point walked out after an hour. He was like "I shot him perfect in the shoulder" 200 yds of bumping him through thicket and thorns later we realized he shot low through both his legs through his brisket no organs hit. He learned a lot in two short days. They come easy and sometimes not so. The night after he shot the first deer we were talking and I told him "There's one certainty with hunting. The longer you hunt at some point you might lose one." Luckily we found and dispatched him. I would of had us wait and not bump him but there was no blood anywhere except where he had shot him. Once we bumped him and lack of blood I knew it was an injury shot and if we didn't we would of lost him. First bump I could see that he was lame.
He needs to retire already. Nobody gets that lucky that fast.....Beginners luck. The other is when you take a female, they'll always out do you....

Back
Top Bottom