How to build a survival shelter(debris hut)

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
I got this months S.W.A.T. magazine which had a well written article on how to build a debris hut for survival in the woods.
This is a very practical skill to have in ones toolbox if you spend much time in the woods.
When I was heavy in my "survival" phase I decided (after considerable research) that this style of survival shelter was probably the best man-made style to use in our area ahead of the lean-to in the colder months because of the better insulating properties.
I still carry dental floss & an 8' x12' piece of plastic in my mini-survival kit that goes with me on ANY trip into the woods so I can make one quick.

Two secondary benefits to this hut is that if it is constructed properly they are very low profile, almost invisible & even reduces your "heat signature" for those of you who play "wargames" using "gameseekers" that sense your bodyheat.
Of course, if you're lost, you might want to build a fire to increase your heat sig. in case the S.A.R. team looking for you has a F.L.I.R. equipped helicopter.

This is a GREAT skill to practice with your friends and to teach your kids, nephews, etc.
This technique, combined w/ building a fire with minimum materials & in bad (windy & or wet) conditions, are 2 of the main skills I made sure to teach my kids and friends when in the woods.

Check out that article if you get the chance & don't already REALLY know how to build one... it might just save YOUR life.

Last edited:
I use a smaller piece of plastic for my solar still. I have tried both clear and dark to see if the amount of heat generated under the dark plastic (based on the idea that dark colors tend to absorb heat) would speed up the evaporation process (by no mean did I follow the scientifc method and my assumptions were quite generous ). The plastic is a nice addition though for ground cover in wet weather.

Back
Top Bottom