• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How many primers do you have on-hand

Been interested in getting into reloading was curious what decent prices would look like today for raw materials? I know it used to be more economical to reload which Im obviously looking to save $. Is it too late in the game for someone with limited knowledge and $ to get into the hobby? Thanks for any info

Its never too late to get into reloading. Back in 1967 when I started, primers were 88 cents for a box of 100. We thought that was expensive then, but if you look up inflation, 88 cents in 1967 is the same as $7.94 today. That is how much primers cost most places here today. Jump in the water, you will always be glad you did.

Been interested in getting into reloading was curious what decent prices would look like today for raw materials? I know it used to be more economical to reload which Im obviously looking to save $. Is it too late in the game for someone with limited knowledge and $ to get into the hobby? Thanks for any info

No new wisdom here apart from the reminder that for many situations, reloading won't save you much, if any, money.

If you intend to load unusual calibers, and/or want to load unusual types of rounds, it can save you a fair amount of money *IF* you shoot those kinds of rounds a lot. If you love-love-love that gun chambered in 35 Remington, then you'll be able to recoup your investment after maybe 300-400 rounds. If you only shoot a box a year, buy 10 boxes next time you see some on the shelf somewhere.

If you want to churn out 'economy grade' 124gr 9mm plinking ammo, you're going to be better off just stockpiling a case of factory ammo whenever you see some cheap and can afford to do so.

Since primers are more available now and prices are still ridiculous, I only keep a thousand or so at a time, I want to see the warehouses get so stocked up they will have to drop the price, this will never happen as long as people are hording. I do understand the need for competitors to keep more on hand but most of us don't need 50,000 primers.
Why not?

I keep a good assortment on hand totaling 10k +/-. Unfortunately I don't shoot or reload like I use to. It may be time to conduct an inventory of equipment and components and sell.

Back
Top Bottom