• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is this even possible?

Used to be folks could immigrate legally, learn about the country's history, take a test, and become a citizen.

It's just a free for all now. If you can cross the border (by any means), BOOM. You're a citizen.
Still true, but it's a long, (several years), and sometimes expensive journey. No mention if they're legal or not.

I already told the President of my company that I will veto any suggestions to have company meetings and corporate events in CA. F'em!

I have said this long ago when I used to visit on a quarterly basis for several years- CA is a foreign country!

I don't believe it's vital to have citizens on a State Elections Commission, but I'd certainly want to be sure that their credentials genuinely qualified them for the position.

But I'd want that if the candidate WAS a citizen.

Not a complicated concept. Just because someone is not a citizen doen't mean that they cannot perform that job.

Their purpose is to enforce laws, that's all.

Now, I don't know, but if commissioners have to give an oath of allegiance to the US Constitution or something ridiculous like that, then that WOULD be a current regulatory limitation on a non-citizen - but I'd argue that given the way some US citizens in public office behave, there's no actual value in having that limitation.

There are plenty of other laws and regulations that direct and constrain employees of the state.

Not a complicated concept. Just because someone is not a citizen doen't mean that they cannot perform that job.

Their purpose is to enforce laws, that's all.

Now, I don't know, but if commissioners have to give an oath of allegiance to the US Constitution or something ridiculous like that, then that WOULD be a current regulatory limitation on a non-citizen - but I'd argue that given the way some US citizens in public office behave, there's no actual value in having that limitation.

There are plenty of other laws and regulations that direct and constrain employees of the state.
communism is not a complicated concept. Slavery isn't a complicated concept. Losing this country to the lack of laws is an easy concept. We've been allowing it for years.....doesn't make it right just because the concept is simple.

I guess I'm not undertanding the point here.

Especially at the state level, being on an Elections Commission is just a job. What uniquely qualifies citizens for the position?

Sure, you can RESTRICT it to citizens via an oath of office, but what makes the role so super special that it can ONLY be undertaken by someone who is a citizen? Non citizens (provided they are legal residents) are capable of obeying and enforcing laws.

Edit: Referring back to the OP and early posts - of course, an illegal immigrant should not be eligible for public office. And from the photo, it seems as though the candidate was taking an oath of office, so it's a requirement. That oath she is giving may be invalid - I have to research whether such an oath given by a non-citizen is ever valid.

But the point remains, what does a State Election Commissioner do that is so important - dare I say sacred - that invalidates a legal, non-citizen from doing it?

Back
Top Bottom