• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you teach a child to shoot?

Ditch the shotgun and get her a nice 22 rifle. You can't go wrong with a 10/22 if it fits her, or a youth-sized gun like a Cricket.

If you get the 10/22 get one of the single-round magazines from Ruger. Muzzle control is something kids need to learn, but it will take a while.

It's a natural reaction for an exited kid who just hit what they aimed to to swing around and seek approval from their parent/teacher/coach. It's best if the gun is empty when it's pointed at your guts.

When I was a rifle coach for kids (8-14) at a Summer camp back in the 70s I used to put a folding chair in front of each place on the line and have the kids shoot through it. That kept the muzzles pointed downrange. Probably not necessary of you are doing this one-on-one though.

Another thing that will help get her excited is to have some kind of reactive targets. Whether it's steel or balloons, kids want to see the results RIGHT NOW! Little holes in a piece of paper just aren't that exciting. Hearing steel ring or balloons pop is much more satisfying, even as adults.

Lastly, be aware that her stamina for shooting is going to be a lot lower than yours. Watch for signs that she's getting tired and end the session slightly before she wants to stop. The phrase 'always leaving them wanting more' is the key here.

My daughter is 12 years old and she has shot my pistols with no problem and she has plinked around with a BB gun since she was little. Anyways, I got her a 20 gauge and we went to shoot it for the first time today. Im not real sure how it happened or what she was doing wrong but the recoil really scared her and hurt her shoulder. I don't think she was holding the gun snug to her shoulder and keeping a good grip, she was standing up to shoot. The first shot wasnt bad but it scared her and the second shot was a giant flinch and that made the recoil even worse for her, she had big tears in her eyes and didnt want to shoot it anymore after that. What do I do now, I dont want her to hate shooting shotguns. Should I get a .410 or a .22 to get rid of the flinching and to teach her to shoulder the gun properly? How do I explain to her how to properly shoulder the gun and hold it? I was shooting a 20 gauge at 8 years old and it didnt phase me. should I try the 20 gauge again and put her on a bench instead of standing?
Maybe the 20 gauge she is shooting doesn't fit her? I bought a smaller 20ga for my daughter to shoot. It was made for female shooters. She shot it very well and had none of the problems you mention. Most shotguns on the market are sized for men. My daughter is smaller in stature and build.

I took my nephew and two of his friends age 10 to 12 shooting 22 rifles and a 20 gauge shotgun one weekend a couple years ago. They all complained about the recoil of the 20 gauge. They only wanted to shoot it once --not twice or more.
Yes the gun was somewhat light weight having an aluminum receiver & smaller proportions than a 12 gauge gun, but the ammo was low brass cheap birdshot number 7 1/2.

Some 12 year olds can be much smaller than others --that's an age where there's often a wide disparity in physical size.
But two out of these three kids I took shooting were nearly adult sized.

According to this government chart, 10% of 12 year old girls are at least 5 foot four and weighs over 160 pounds.

That also reminds me: a full grown woman in her 50s also didn't like shooting my 20 ga. pump shotgun, and she was probably 5 foot seven, and 150 pounds.

Maybe the 20 gauge she is shooting doesn't fit her? I bought a smaller 20ga for my daughter to shoot. It was made for female shooters. She shot it very well and had none of the problems you mention. Most shotguns on the market are sized for men. My daughter is smaller in stature and build.
yeah maybe it is too long and heavy and that is what was causing the bad form, on top of just not having any long gun experience. Can you send me a picture or tell me what kind of gun you got for your daughter?

I bought her this one (not from Buds) in Muddy Girl Pink:

I changed out the bolt release to a custom larger one made for this gun. The stock bolt release was very stiff even for me at 6'2" 240. The stock bolt release was too hard for her to operate but the new one was simple and a simple job to change.

Raptor-Youth-Muddy-Girl-Half-Camo-20ga.jpg

I bought her this one (not from Buds) in Muddy Girl Pink:

I changed out the bolt release to a custom larger one made for this gun. The stock bolt release was very stiff even for me at 6'2" 240. The stock bolt release was too hard for her to operate but the new one was simple and a simple job to change.
Thank you, I will check that gun out.

Hate to hear that, definitely gonna be recoil shy for awhile now.

I light pump 20ga probably stomped her.

Winchester makes low recoil 20ga shells, they are worth the extra money. We didn't have to use them for long.

I agree with a 22lr but when you hand her back the 20ga, she's gonna remember what happened.

Most important thing, dont get frustrated with her. We shot with a fellow and his son the other day and his son was scared to death, even tried to get him to shoot my sons gas 20 after he watched my son put 50 rounds through it and the kid would have nothing of it.

My 10yo with his 1187 compact

24CgOJu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom