• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you teach a child to shoot?

My mother was raised in a household where guns were laying everywhere. My grandfather was a moonshine runner and kept firearms in quick reach. She felt it necessary to drill me before I got to even pick my Daisy Red Ryder I got for Christmas one year. I still remember her quizzing me and drilling me very adamantly back then. I will never forget it. I still run through those rules right before picking up a gun to this day even though it's second nature.

I moved up the chain with my daughter.
Started with bb s. Plastic bb and red ryder. Then22 of course.
Then i got her the 410. She shot better with it than me. Lol. Sucess was good.
Once we were with the cousins and everyone was shooting 410. Then when the cousins were there shooting the 410, she wanted to shoot the 20 o/u.
No problem or complaints, thank goodness. Peer pressure. I took her to the gun club to polish up. She broke nearly every bird. I always try to keep it interesting. Colored water jugs or other reactive targets. She was shooting flying objects with the ryder and became pretty good at that. Well the clays were faster and more challenging. Of course “ I want to try” lol.
Good luck with it

The trick is going to be make sure there's nothing construed as negative criticism and try to keep her excited to want to try again. It's ok that she got scared as it's something newer and bigger to her and not everyone reacts the same. Suggest the idea to her to step down and work her way up so that it's "her decision" to try and let her feel like she is in control of the situation. Positive reinforcement and having input in those decisions goes a long way at that age.
This.

Back
Top Bottom