• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you teach a child to shoot?

Boys and girls are very different when it comes to shooting.

Boys generally seem to have less problem with recoil than girls of the same age do. I don't know if that's mental or due to physical differences in upper-body strength and configurations, or both, but I've almost always found it to be true.

I would seriously hold off on using any shotgun with the OP's daughter and let her get into shooting with a 22 for at least a year or two. You'll know when she's ready to try a shotgun (or larger rifle) again pretty easily... She'll ask you.

There's no rush to get her started with guns with more recoil. She's 12. She has the time.

Could just be that particular gun. My first shotgun when I was 8 or 9, was a light single shot 20ga. That thing had terrible recoil even with low brass dove loads. I hated that shotgun, but it was "mine" and I loved dove hunting enough that I willing to endure the pain of the recoil. I still hated that gun as an adult because of the recoil.

I would also concur with what others have already said about a youth sized gun and good recoil pad. That will make a huge difference when she is ready to try it again.

Q: How do you teach a child to shoot?​

A: It's easier to teach them to shoot back than to just SHOOT.
So give that kid a gun, step back a suitable distance, and start putting rounds at their feet! Tell them you won't stop until they pop that balloon that stapled to the tree next to you.

257BE6A1-8E75-4169-AFF7-CF3F58B11C0F.jpeg

They sell a nice thick pad at Walmart that reduces 80% felt recoil it’s called limb saver or something to that effect . Haven’t had a single person dislike or ask for it off.

Back
Top Bottom