• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House passes concealed reciprocity bill!

Yea some states already dont honor non-res permits. It might be that NJ/CA/NYC residents could be out in the cold when traveling to other states unless the bill has shall issue language in it for them
I don't think that's how this works. What I get is that if you have a permit you can travel to any state and they have to honor it. You can already get a permit from some states even if you don't live there. So, theoretically a NY or CA resident can get a permit from another state and all other states have to honor it. My only question is if their state of residence would be exempt from that.

This bill could backfire but I hope it doesn't. I can see states that don't want this taking away ccw from their citizens in order to not have to comply.
I don't think this would effect the right to carry for a non resident of that state.

Does this bill only address reciprocity with states that also issue permits or does it say that if you have a permit from one state all other states have to honor it?

I don't think this would effect the right to carry for a non resident of that state.

Does this bill only address reciprocity with states that also issue permits or does it say that if you have a permit from one state all other states have to honor it?

From my understanding you would have to follow the state laws so if they do not issue a ccw then you cannot ccw with an out of state permit.

So it is basically the exact same thing we have right now...?

Kinda, it just makes the reciprocity map a little mo betta. When NY bans carrying concealed, nobody will be able to carry concealed there. At least that's how I took it.

I don't think that's how this works. What I get is that if you have a permit you can travel to any state and they have to honor it. You can already get a permit from some states even if you don't live there. So, theoretically a NY or CA resident can get a permit from another state and all other states have to honor it. My only question is if their state of residence would be exempt from that.

Just depends on if theres any language that says a state must issue a permit. Maybe leave it up to the states to issue what qualifications and processes are in place but make it a must issue state. Other than that this bill might not do much for residents of that state if they have to get a non-resident permit and thats assuming there still are non-res permits. We dont have non-res driver license. I guess I was just thinking more a long the lines of non-resident permits were still going to be valid or even issued.

To force reciprocity on states that have ccw but dont reciprocate.
So this an almost useless law. It still means that you have to travel through a state that does not allow a handgun you have to leave it at home or risk a felony charge.

I really hope you're wrong. I'm sure you do, too.

Back
Top Bottom