• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hornady Lock and load bushings

MILSURP Collector

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Airborne Ranger
291   0
Reaction score
Has anyone else had the press bushing wear out?

Looks like the locking lugs wear down and even ruined 2 of my die bushings.

Found this review on Amazom similar to my experience. I have replacement coming from Hornady that ships NEXT WEEK! BTW my press is a Rock Chucker

If my Hornady AP press wasn't a piece of junk i wouldn't have needed these in the first place. The threaded insert part that lives in the press eventually cracks on the locking lugs and breaks to the point where the die wont stay locked in. this has happened several times even when being gentle on the press. yeah i can call Hornady and their service is great, they always sent out replacements but im sick of calling and the parts usually take over a week to show up. That's no good when i need to make ammo for a competition on the weekend and the press is down. fortunately amazon come to the rescue with one day delivery and got me running again.

If you have a non lock and load press seriously consider keeping it as is. The lock and load system is just a bad design, its fragile and temperamental and you can end up with inconsistent rounds if you dont check the dies are locked tight every 10-20 rounds. If they made a kit to convert my press to a regular non lock and load i would buy it in a heartbeat! that's how fed up i am with it!

I also have a rock crusher with the lock and load setup and haven't had any issues other than some minor inconsistencies with oacl. I haven't been reloading very long and only have about 750 rounds or so thru my press. I used the magnifying glasses i have reserved for model making and didn't see any cracks in the bushing, only light scoring. Thank you for the heads up on the issue.

I also have a rock crusher with the lock and load setup and haven't had any issues other than some minor inconsistencies with oacl. I haven't been reloading very long and only have about 750 rounds or so thru my press. I used the magnifying glasses i have reserved for model making and didn't see any cracks in the bushing, only light scoring. Thank you for the heads up on the issue.

The good news is they sent a replacement at no cost. I might have not "locked" the dies in or used rookie force when I shouldn't have. Being much more careful now.

About 5000 rounds through my newest LnL AP and it’s starting to do exactly what you described. I can literally see the die & bushing lifting up as I size brass. Quickly becoming a problem.

Back
Top Bottom