• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home Defense scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many gun owners seem to have some sort of fascination with "clearing" their home or business at the first sign of an intrusion.... probably because the only training they have was from watching actors do it on tv & in movies where it is romanticized & looks "cool".

The reality in most circumstances is that is much more sensible from a tactical standpoint to gather the family together in one room & let the bad guys come to you as you wait for the police to arrive with your long gun. pointed at the door.
It if there is evidence the home has been broken into when you arrive home, retreat to a safe distance, call 911, & let the police come with their shotguns, vests, radios, training, & superior numbers under the color of law.

However, one cannot call them everytime you hear a strange noise or they will quickly lose their sense of humor.....
Clearing a house should be something that is done reluctantly as last option not the first one.
It is also strongly advised that one be properly trained by a professional on how to do it properly because on real life it it very unforgiving aa you don't get "do-overs".

Last edited:
Many gun owners seem to have some sort of fascination with "clearing" their home or business at the first sign of an intrusion.... probably because the only training they have was from watching actors do it on tv & in movies.

The reality in most circumstances is that is much more sensible from a tactical standpoint to gather the family together on one room & let the bad guys come to you.
It if there is evidence the home has been broken into, retreat to a safe distance, call 911, & let the police come with their shotguns, vests, radios, training, & superior numbers under the color of law.

However, one cannot call them everytime you heat a strange noise or they will quickly lose theory sense of humor.....
Clearing a house should be something that is done reluctantly as last option not the first one.
It is also strongly advised that one be properly trained by a professional on how to so it properly because I'm real life it it very unforgiving aa you don't get "do-overs".
OP is a Combat controller. I think he will be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Many gun owners seem to have some sort of fascination with "clearing" their home or business at the first sign of an intrusion.... probably because the only training they have was from watching actors do it on tv & in movies.

The reality in most circumstances is that is much more sensible from a tactical standpoint to gather the family together on one room & let the bad guys come to you.
It if there is evidence the home has been broken into, retreat to a safe distance, call 911, & let the police come with their shotguns, vests, radios, training, & superior numbers under the color of law.

However, one cannot call them everytime you heat a strange noise or they will quickly lose theory sense of humor.....
It is also strongly advised that one be properly trained by a professional on how to so it properly because I'm real life it it very unforgiving aa you don't get "do-overs".

Whatever dude. If I even hear my door rattle without my permission I'm going to dual wield my compensated USP's with extra mags in my plate carrier and shoot the door down. Then I'm going to clear the whole neighborhood with my night vision goggles and throwing knives so the tangos don't even hear me picking them off one by one.

/s

Break that scenario down.

You +1 or You + many live in the house?

You +1, I fall back to and behind a fortified interior bedroom wall separating the master bath, have my +1 phone 911 on my cell phone charging on the bedside table and wait for intruder to walk down the kill path. This is where I keep larger artillery such as 12 gauge street sweeper in a master closet. Protect yourself first, patch the dry wall later. When the cops arrive you are still on the phone so tell them where you are in the house. Don't make them come looking for you. Direct the dispatcher to what side of the house and what room. You don't want to shoot a cop by accident he is trained to listen to his radio and focus on what's in front of him. He will shoot you by accident if he thinks you are a threat.

You + many, Same as above for the +1 but now take on a role of offensive clearing by making as much noise as possible to protect the + many. Hopefully the intruders will clear the building on their own without a shot fired before help arrives. If not... draw them away from the + many and remain as small of a target as you can until the cops can sort it all out. Hopefully the +1 is still on the phone telling them what you are wearing (or not wearing) or what you look like saying don't shoot that one. Yell at the cops saying I'm the victim and homeowner. Drop that hog leg you are carrying the cops have plenty of fire power and yours is not needed. Yell...I want to sign the complaint, I'm the victim! The cops don't know who you are. They will take the cuffs off later.

No way to roll all this up in a ball and say here, do this. But my +'s in the house know what I'm going to do if this happens. Have that meeting and like a fire drill practice invasion drill too.

... but that's just me.

OP is a Combat controller. I think he will be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Unless in his M.O he has had specific training clearing structures that means nothing.
It is well known in the training community that just because someome was in the military does not make them an expert on any or all areas of the use of small arms in a civilian context.
Besides my post was not directed specifically at him but is what is taught at every firearms training school that I've attended or know of.

Many gun owners seem to have some sort of fascination with "clearing" their home or business at the first sign of an intrusion.... probably because the only training they have was from watching actors do it on tv & in movies where it is romanticized & looks "cool".

The reality in most circumstances is that is much more sensible from a tactical standpoint to gather the family together in one room & let the bad guys come to you as you wait for the police to arrive with your long gun. pointed at the door.
It if there is evidence the home has been broken into when you arrive home, retreat to a safe distance, call 911, & let the police come with their shotguns, vests, radios, training, & superior numbers under the color of law.

However, one cannot call them everytime you hear a strange noise or they will quickly lose their sense of humor.....
It is also strongly advised that one be properly trained by a professional on how to do it properly because on real life it it very unforgiving aa you don't get "do-overs".

^^^This^^^

If you try to clear the house you are sacrificing your primary tactical advantage, a defensive position. You also know NOTHING about the invaders. How many are their? How are they armed? What is their intent? Your goal should be the survival of yourself and your family, not to gain Rambo points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom