• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home Defense gun suggestions

I like the 870.

Great home defense weapon, but it is big and bulky. It does require some skill to reload and handle effectively. But, a lot of women think a shotgun is heavy and hard to lug around....

How about a pistol?

Maybe if they want something compact (and don't have to worry about bullets going thru walls-if they aren't that close to their neighbors,) I would also look at a Glock 19. It is very compact, and holds a lot more shots. Probably won't have to reload, but if they do, they would have another 15 rounds. Easy to conceal, easy to handle, and all you have to worry about is pulling the trigger.

*Whatever they decide on, they absolutely should take a formal class-and practice often. They need to have a solid understanding of exactly how their weapon works, and a solid plan for how to use it effectively. I have always believed that preparation is absolutely essential. Any firearm in the hands of folks "who aren't really gun people" and who aren't prepared to use it effectively is more dangerous to them than to an assailant.

Last edited:
Pump 12 gauge (or a 20 gauge) with a normal stock, pistol grips look cool but arnt as stable for a good shot as a standard stock. Mossberg 500, 870, or Mav 88 will all be good.

I'm going to break away from the pack and suggest a rifle, not a shotgun. I understand that the objective is to defend at in-door distances. The shotgun does so admirably. It's also slow to reload, slow to deliver an accurate follow-up shots, and it's a very specialized weapon. A rifle, for my purposes, does what I would require in a shotgun and more allowing for longer range if necessary (better to have and not need than need and not have), quicker reloads and way faster follow up shots. The rifle will require more training to master, but the advantages are worth it IMO. I just flat-out prefer the precision oriented features of a carbine. That said, I just saw a nice Norinco SKS go for $200 + S&H. That'd get my vote over a scattergun.

With a rifle, you really have to look at over penetration concerns, especially if living in a neighborhood with close neighbors.

With a rifle, you really have to look at over penetration concerns, especially if living in a neighborhood with close neighbors.

No more so than with a handgun. 9MM ball is documented to penetrate further than 5.56 ball, for example. Pick the right load for the job. JHP or VMAX 7.62X39 / frangible 5.56 for HD puts my over penetration concerns to bed. Handguns really, really suck as compared to a decent rifle / shotgun. I would not consider fighting with one if a long gun were available. Just me.

For someone who probably won't train much if any and will probably leave it in a closet till its needed a rifle is a bad choice IMO, a pump gun would be better for that situation. I have a rifle, but still prefer my 870 for HD work

For someone who probably won't train much if any and will probably leave it in a closet till its needed a rifle is a bad choice IMO, a pump gun would be better for that situation. I have a rifle, but still prefer my 870 for HD work

For the person you describe, a firearm is a bad choice IMO. Without training, the gun is more of a liability than anything.

Pumps are recommended because they're easy to operate, easy to maintain, they're reliable and still provide quick reload.

I'd definitely look into a 20 gauge also. Less recoil may be good for the wife. It'll still drop a bad guy with plenty of penetration too. Just remember, birdshot is for the birds, buckshot is for badguys.

Another option is a .357 revolver. Revolvers are also easy to operate, easy to maintain and reliable. If recoil is a problem, load it with .38 special which will also do the job. I would not get a snubbie for a stay at home gun.

Pumps are recommended because they're easy to operate, easy to maintain, they're reliable and still provide quick reload.

I'd definitely look into a 20 gauge also. Less recoil may be good for the wife. It'll still drop a bad guy with plenty of penetration too. Just remember, birdshot is for the birds, buckshot is for badguys.

Another option is a .357 revolver. Revolvers are also easy to operate, easy to maintain and reliable. If recoil is a problem, load it with .38 special which will also do the job. I would not get a snubbie for a stay at home gun.

Good advice here.
Even with birdshot or reduced recoil rounds the 12 ga. is just too much for many shooters.

I had a recent class with a lady in her late fifties who had a Remin. 870 pump in 20 ga.
The recoil was manageable enough for her to be able to practice shooting it for extended sessions w/o inducing a flinch or badly bruising her shoulder..
Also the slightly reduced size compared to the 12 ga. version fit her very well as I believe it would most avg. sized people.

Back
Top Bottom