• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holy moly it just hit me. Russia warns of EMP attack.

fair enough, and good points.
so you think the ship just happened to **** the bed as a russian plane flew overhead, it had to be towed home, and all those sailors asked to be relieved because something else happened, like a ****ty officer?

Bad officers, bad maintenance, and no money for spares and overhauls are more likely than a Russian Death Ray. The USN has had a rash of breakdowns at sea of the past few years. New boats, old boats, most of which were blamed on "Sequestration" somehow robbing the fleet of parts and overhaul time that was scheduled and budgetted years in advance. I guess Russian Uber weapons are more useful today.

fair enough, and good points.
so you think the ship just happened to **** the bed as a russian plane flew overhead, it had to be towed home, and all those sailors asked to be relieved because something else happened, like a ****ty officer?

I think alternative media (Inforwars and the like) take news story "A," mildly blend it with news story "B," and allow the reader to fill in blanks and forge connections that possibly don't exist. Two separate events suddenly become one in the minds of people who are predisposed to think that way, anyway. And given the way Internet search engines work, toss in the Infowars links with enough references to the original A and B stories in mainstream media, plus a dollop of knowledge of how dysfunctional our government is 99% of the time, and you get the Easy-Bake Oven version of conspiracy theories. Takes on a life of its own.

On a good day, their stories are tin-foil-hat ready.

On slow days, they make **** up out of whole cloth to suit their delusions.

this story is in like 45 places at least. most of which have nothing to do with tin foil. I would agree if it were only infowars, SHTFplan, planforSHTF, SHTFnow, S'sH'tngTF.com .

instead its places like "The aviationist" Russian warplanes allegedly force US destroyer away from territorial waters in Black Sea
It seems to me that this one is hard to pin on "something else" when all other indicators to me say "its possible and makes sense"

this story is in like 45 places at least. most of which have nothing to do with tin foil. I would agree if it were only infowars, SHTFplan, planforSHTF, SHTFnow, S'sH'tngTF.com .

instead its places like "The aviationist" Russian warplanes allegedly force US destroyer away from territorial waters in Black Sea
It seems to me that this one is hard to pin on "something else" when all other indicators to me say "its possible and makes sense"

Because that's how this type of info spreads on the world wide web, and it plays exactly into the scenario we're discussing: Propagation of poorly sourced info, including tin foil bull****, until it's repeated enough to lend an air of credibility, even when there is none. Repeating something doesn't make it more true. Investigating and verifying facts establishes truth. The web is very good at repeating, much less so at verifying.

The latest source you cited is a blog, which is opinion oriented, rather than traditional, fact-based reporting. Consider statements like these from the linked article:

“It seems that the Americans did not forget the April 2014 incident when one Su-24 actually shut down all equipment on the new USS Donald Cook American destroyer with anti-missile system elements,” an unnamed source said to Sputnik News.

"Following the incident, speculations (fueled by propaganda) reported that the Su-24 jammed all the systems aboard USS Cook to such an extent all the onboard screens went black and 27 officers resigned as a consequence of the attack: a quite unbelievable and unlikely story."

The blog article is even questioning the authenticity, which is a fig-leaf tactic in case anyone calls them on publishing this bull****: "We said it was unbelievable when we published it! It's right there in the text!"

If it's unbelievable, and not backed by fact, a professional journalist doesn't publish it.

And now...it's in 46 places, since it's on ODT as well. Does that make it more true?

I am no fan of mainstream media. They've been flubbing hard reporting since Lewinsky was going down on Slick Willy at the White House. BUT, they still do a much better job at screening this type of nonsense than opinion blogs and tin foil hucksters.

If you want to record something funny, just unplug your garage door motor and record the wife in panic mode, thinking she can not drive anywhere...:becky:
She is very smart (except for the picking me, part) but that kinda stuff freaks her (and lots of folks) out...
Kinda sorta kidding, but she makes a GREAT sammich, so she is a keeper.

My wife called me once to bring her the spare key set for her car. She left the remote inside and could see it. I asked her if the ignition keys were on the same ring, she said no. Then it got silent for awhile, lol, I could picture the hamster wheel turning. We both laughed when she said I guess I could just unlock the door with the key huh? Lol, for eight years she had the car she never once used the key. She's a keeper too, she keeps me laughing....

Back
Top Bottom