Hollywood just has no clue with guns

Not just guns.
Was watching an episode of The Resident last night. Hospital employees find a guy shot and unconscious. Haul him to the ER.
All about the carnage a single bullet can cause.
’Small caliber, low velocity bullet’ (trauma surgeon says they’re the worst) enters the body, apparently acts like a pinball, bouncing around perforating multiple organs. Ends up involving 100 health-care workers attempting to save the shootee. They use the hospital’s entire stock of rare AB blood attempting heroically to keep him alive. This endangers another patient who also is AB and is apparently a couple pints low. Multiple sceduled surgeries are postponed due to the OR (only one in a major hospital?) being tied up for hours.
Since he’s found unconscious with no wallet/id hospital is now stuck with a half-million dollar billing and no one to pay it. And, oh by the way, that little bullet also severed the guy’s spine, so at the end of the show, he’s left paralyzed and still unconscious. Good times.
All caused by one bullet.
I guess the moral of the story is if you shoot someone, make sure he’s dead so he doesn’t inconvenience hospital staff.
And, oh, use a decent caliber with a little zip to it.
Cousin of magic bullet used on Kennedy?

"Mr. Jones, we brought you in unconscious from a 22lr injury.
We were able to save your life after an exhaustive effort.
However you may need up to 6-18 months of rehabilitation
services to be able to walk again. You should be able to feed
yourself in just a few weeks. Which is about same time you
should hear from the accounts receivable dept. to discuss
whether you want to pay your $1.3 million balance by check
or credit card."
Oh no, he's fainted! Quick call the ER!

Not just guns.
Was watching an episode of The Resident last night. Hospital employees find a guy shot and unconscious. Haul him to the ER.
All about the carnage a single bullet can cause.
’Small caliber, low velocity bullet’ (trauma surgeon says they’re the worst) enters the body, apparently acts like a pinball, bouncing around perforating multiple organs. Ends up involving 100 health-care workers attempting to save the shootee. They use the hospital’s entire stock of rare AB blood attempting heroically to keep him alive. This endangers another patient who also is AB and is apparently a couple pints low. Multiple sceduled surgeries are postponed due to the OR (only one in a major hospital?) being tied up for hours.
Since he’s found unconscious with no wallet/id hospital is now stuck with a half-million dollar billing and no one to pay it. And, oh by the way, that little bullet also severed the guy’s spine, so at the end of the show, he’s left paralyzed and still unconscious. Good times.
All caused by one bullet.
I guess the moral of the story is if you shoot someone, make sure he’s dead so he doesn’t inconvenience hospital staff.
And, oh, use a decent caliber with a little zip to it.
Hospital/ER type shows are the worst.

I’m convinced the “technical advisors” have little knowledge on the subject they are hired for…. makes my wife crazy when she can’t just mindlessly enjoy a movie or show that has anything about airplanes or aviation without my (laughing) critique of a scene that depicts something that would not happen or is impossible in the real world….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m convinced the “technical advisors” have little knowledge on the subject they are hired for…. makes my wife crazy when she can’t just mindlessly enjoy a movie or show that has anything about airplanes or aviation without my (laughing) critique of a scene that depicts something that would not happen or is impossible in the real world….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And then their nitwittery becomes "common knowledge" amongst the hoi polloi and can sometimes eventually become "Fuddlore."

We do tend to focus on the idea that screenwriters, authors and journalists have some built-in inability to understand the subject we are knowledgable about, but the reality is that most of them know almost nothing about ANYTHING.

The author Michael Crichton coined a term, "Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect" in 2002 (from Wikipedia) specifically about journalism, but I think the problem is far more widespread.

In a speech in 2002, Crichton coined the term Gell-Mann amnesia effect, after physicist Murray Gell-Mann. He used this term to describe the phenomenon of experts believing news articles on topics outside of their fields of expertise, even after acknowledging that articles written in the same publication that are within the experts' fields of expertise are error-ridden and full of misunderstanding:[140]

Media carries with it a credibility that is totally undeserved. You have all experienced this. …

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. … You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. …

You read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know. …

In ordinary life, if somebody consistently exaggerates or lies to you, you soon discount everything they say. … But when it comes to the media, we believe against evidence that it is probably worth our time to read other parts of the paper. … The only possible explanation for our behavior is amnesia.

I’m beginning to think this is the result of pissing off the props people. :lol: I was scrolling through Netflix and saw this for the movie Blackout.

View attachment 4851219
1380594_730954843588373_1156033227_n.jpg

Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom