hogs boar hogs boar

This may be a dumb question but can you get enough accuracy at 60-70yrds with a 18.5" barrled 12ga using slugs to drop a hog?? I'd like to get just one gun I can use year round for hogs.

This may be a dumb question but can you get enough accuracy at 60-70yrds with a 18.5" barrled 12ga using slugs to drop a hog?? I'd like to get just one gun I can use year round for hogs.
No can do... Slugs= big game Only during deer (big game) season... Otherwise shot for small game. 22Mag is possible or black powder. Also stick and a string, bowie knife, spear, big club.

Last edited:
Some have special hog hunts. Where you can use what you want. Big game hunts use what you want. Small game is rimfire, shotgun, archery, stick, stone, boat achor. Just not centerfire rounds during small game season. Yep 22mag to the ear.

When Its archery only/season. Its bow only unless its a dove day and you have a shotgun. But it better be dove rigged.

Grab you a reg book read It from front to back. Research some then go back and read it again.

Mr. Green jeans will eat you for lunch If you not up to snuff.
Heck they have nabbed me before they got me for hunting to close to the road. I walked so far in cohutta ended up hunting a creek bottom sitting under a over hang. Didn't even know the road was there til mister green jeans drove down the road and seen my hunter orange.

Last edited:
Use a 243 win for hogs. Remember, there is no rib meat to speak of. Shoulders, hams, back strap and tenderloin is about all you will get.

so im leaning towards a 12 guage still..... is the 18.5 too short?? Also what small game load would be recommended for hogs in small game season, also how close will i need to be to make a kill. I'm not the type to shoot something if I can't make a clean kill....

My friend has also got me to thinking a bow would be a good choice.... can you carry a bow during small game? Im going to a local sporting goods store to pick up the latest regulation book so hopefully i'll be out of yours guys hair soon lol.

thanks again!

It is extremely hard to drop a hog (reliably) with a bow. The larger caliber rifles are best. IMHO.

I love my AR10 for hogs.... it sounds like you have received a lot of good advise.... hog hunting is a blast.... just keep the wind to your face..... hope to see some pics of your first hog soon.... Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom