hogs boar hogs boar

vineyardhunter

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
15   0
Reaction score
Ok so I've recently been throwing around the idea of hunting hogs for the meat. I'm not the most experienced hunter nor am I completely new. I'm comfortable with firearms and well aware of safe handling technique etc. I have never hunted from a tree stand only the ground. So I guess I need as much info as someone would be willing to give.

What's the best type of rifle to use?
Are GA hogs good eating?
What's the avg amount of meat recovered from say a 200lbs hog?
Where a good places local to find them? (Dalton area)
What are some tips you'd give a new hog hunter?

For anyone willing to take the time to respond I just want to thank you in advance.

-Nathan

Hey Nathan

I am glad that you posted this thread. I am from Dalton and would like to hunt hogs. I have never hunted but currently seeking advise!

Last edited:
Hogs can be taken with anything from a sharp stick to 50BMG. Depends on where you want to hunt WMA? Paid hunt? 300aAC is da man for paid hunt info. There are lots of opportunities night thermal optic hunting is a kick, hunting with dogs and sticking your first pig. Generally hogs are great eating, organic other white meat. In the wild they eat anything that won't eat them. I've never had a bad hog although I've tasted some really rank boar. A lot has to do how it was taken down, how it's prepped, and how it's cooked. I use a large cooler quarter up the pig, put it on ice for 3 days changing the ice as need. Gets the pig bled out.
i suggest you definitely go with someone experienced learn the ropes. Just running around on aWMA is a setup for failure.

Shovelhead:2814440 said:
Hogs can be taken with anything from a sharp stick to 50BMG. Depends on where you want to hunt WMA? Paid hunt? 300aAC is da man for paid hunt info. There are lots of opportunities night thermal optic hunting is a kick, hunting with dogs and sticking your first pig. Generally hogs are great eating, organic other white meat. In the wild they eat anything that won't eat them. I've never had a bad hog although I've tasted some really rank boar. A lot has to do how it was taken down, how it's prepped, and how it's cooked. I use a large cooler quarter up the pig, put it on ice for 3 days changing the ice as need. Gets the pig bled out.
i suggest you definitely go with someone experienced learn the ropes. Just running around on aWMA is a setup for failure.

I'd prefer a cheaper option such as a WMA or private land if possible. Also is it safe to hunt them from the ground? Or would a stand be preferred?

I'd prefer a cheaper option such as a WMA or private land if possible. Also is it safe to hunt them from the ground? Or would a stand be preferred?
WMA' are spot and stalk. They can be productive but you are going to do your homework. Any pressure they go nocturnal, with summer heat they in in the thick stuff any are hard to push out. WMA hunting will require you to hunt with the firearm alacart. No deer rifle during small game season During small game you need to carry 22, shotgun, BP. Average paid hunt will cost $500-$1xxx if you go with a guide you need to be aware of true cost. Are there cost for multiple hogs, trophy fees, field dressing, skinning butchering, guides should be tipped as well. private land good luck unless you have a buddy most farmers will say no.

I'm assuming this is what your after. I mainly hunt wmas. Cause there's really no private land in north Georgia that has hogs. Really the only 4 are pine mountain, pine log, and cohutta. You better put on a dang good pair of boots if your going to go where the hogs are in cohutta. 3 or 4 mile trip in cohutta is the normal.
Remember the further you hunt the more beer you have to buy for your buddies and you better have dang good buddies to drag out a pig 2 miles.
This is pine log during archery season. It's my cousin hunted my stand the evening before I could.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v716_cwhotrod311_20131004_225122.jpg

Ok so I've recently been throwing around the idea of hunting hogs for the meat. I'm not the most experienced hunter nor am I completely new. I'm comfortable with firearms and well aware of safe handling technique etc. I have never hunted from a tree stand only the ground. So I guess I need as much info as someone would be willing to give.

What's the best type of rifle to use?
Are GA hogs good eating?
What's the avg amount of meat recovered from say a 200lbs hog?
Where a good places local to find them? (Dalton area)
What are some tips you'd give a new hog hunter?

For anyone willing to take the time to respond I just want to thank you in advance.

-Nathan

Hey Nathan

I am glad that you posted this thread. I am from Dalton and would like to hunt hogs. I have never hunted but currently seeking advise!

We only hunt WMAs and there are quite a few with hogs. Most of the ones in north Ga are best hunted from the ground, the ones in middle and south Ga are better hunted from a stand.

Back
Top Bottom