• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who’s wanting to go on a Hog hunt (4 legged)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got some stuff already lined up so I can’t this weekend.

Ps, I don’t think you can just take whatever rifle. I do believe you have to use weapon for the game you are hunting. That would be squirrel so a .22lr or black powder (maybe shotgun?)

Even though hogs are invasive, you have to use the weapon for the avail game that’s legal during that time.

The last few times I went with a 10/22 and a big blade… please verify so I can sleep lmao
Technically, a .223 is a .22 round:) Squirrel is in season:) I will bring my .22 conversion BCG anyways. The bullet measures .224 for a .22 cal, .223 cl and a 5.56 cal.

https://www.georgiaferalswine.com/rules-and-regulations Under "additional Considerations for hunting> Paragraph 3

Feral swine can also be hunted on Federal lands and state Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) in Georgia. However, there are additional restrictions on hunting on public land. On public land, there must be an open season for a listed game species. The hunter can only use the weapon or weapons that are legally allowed during the specific season in question. There is no limit on the number of feral swine that can be taken on public hunting lands during the appropriate season. It is illegal to hunt feral swine on public land at night. Trapping feral swine on public lands in Georgia is also illegal.
This weekend. :doh:
Post a date...... We will see if we can get a group.....

I would love to go except that they have me working 12 hour nights this weekend.

Can you hunt suppressed on the WMA's?
Yes...... Hunters ability to "Hunt" Suppressed <- click

Restrictions​

• Convicted felons may not possess any firearm or muzzleloading firearm while hunting unless that individual’s right to carry has been restored (OCGA § 16-11-131). This does not apply to archery equipment, air bows or air rifles.
  • Loaded Weapon: A firearm is considered loaded if a shell is in the chamber or magazine, a percussion cap is on the nipple, or powder is present on the frizzen pan. A crossbow is considered loaded if it is cocked.
  • Plugged Shotguns: For hunting migratory game birds, shotguns shall be limited to a capacity of not more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is necessary to so limit the capacity, the plug shall be of 1 piece and incapable of being removed from the loading end of the magazine.
  • Suppressors: Lawfully possessed suppressors may be used for hunting, unless otherwise specified. Permission of the landowner is required on private land.

Technically, a .223 is a .22 round:) Squirrel is in season:) I will bring my .22 conversion BCG anyways. The bullet measures .224 for a .22 cal, .223 cl and a 5.56 cal.

https://www.georgiaferalswine.com/rules-and-regulations Under "additional Considerations for hunting> Paragraph 3

Feral swine can also be hunted on Federal lands and state Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) in Georgia. However, there are additional restrictions on hunting on public land. On public land, there must be an open season for a listed game species. The hunter can only use the weapon or weapons that are legally allowed during the specific season in question. There is no limit on the number of feral swine that can be taken on public hunting lands during the appropriate season. It is illegal to hunt feral swine on public land at night. Trapping feral swine on public lands in Georgia is also illegal.

You can only use the weapons allowed for what game is in season on a WMA… that being said if you go during rifle season and hunting deer… you can use that rifle on hogs.

Currently it’s squirrel season so your rifle will be limited based on what you would harvest squirrels.

That’s why I took a 10/22 and a big blade. I’ve had better luck South East of the shooting range 😉

You can only use the weapons allowed for what game is in season on a WMA… that being said if you go during rifle season and hunting deer… you can use that rifle on hogs.

Currently it’s squirrel season so your rifle will be limited based on what you would harvest squirrels.

That’s why I took a 10/22 and a big blade. I’ve had better luck South East of the shooting range 😉
We need to get together to go. Hit me up when your free! I’m in Harris County…

The specification for small game does not say .22. It says rimfire. .223 is not legal for hogs or squirrel.

Almost makes me want to get a 22WMR upper or two for my AR for things like this. I'm guessing you could harvest hogs with this combo with good shot placement.

Probably the best weapon (and most overlooked) for hogs during small game season is a muzzle loader. No restrictions for caliber or load for small game, so you can use your deer hunting set up on hogs. Modern MLs are accurate and easy to use.

The specification for small game does not say .22. It says rimfire. .223 is not legal for hogs or squirrel.
Thats why Ill have my .22 Conversion BCG with Mags in. I am also going to bring my Marlin 17 HMR as well.

.223 is absolutely legal for hogs just not during Squirrel season. And it doesn't say anything about "Rimfire however, it specifies caliber. See below:

Firearms section. (Scroll down)​

Large Game
  • DEER & BEAR​

• Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
    • Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot.
    • Muzzleloaders: .30-cal. or larger, or muzzleloading shotguns 20 gauge or larger. Scopes are legal.
    • Air Guns: Any air rifle of at least .30 caliber or air bow utilizing unignited compressed gas or air is legal during primitive weapons and firearms seasons.
Small Game
  • Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
    • Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.
    • Shotguns (Waterfowl): Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size “F” or smaller. Lead shot may not be in possession while hunting waterfowl.
  • And as always (The regs) <------ Linked for Ease of use and posted in the OP for everyone's Situational Awareness.
Respectfully
Chris

Almost makes me want to get a 22WMR upper or two for my AR for things like this. I'm guessing you could harvest hogs with this combo with good shot placement.
This is what I have- It works great. Extremely quick swap.. You will need to adjust your zero from whatever caliber youre zeroed with. .22 BCG Conversion kit for and AR

I have a buddy of mine on Benning that's been taking hogs for years with a .17 HMR. He shoots them in the ear believe it or not. He says "there are two places on a hog that will make them drop with Rim fire calibers"....
  1. hit them in the ear to penetrate the Skull and round to Bounce around
  2. hit them in the eye to penetrate the Skull and round to Bounce around
He has also said that he closes in on them to about 35-40 yards.

I have never done it, nor have I taken one with a .22LR. I'm certainly willing to try.
Respectfully
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom