• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hints re. handgun as checked baggage?

MadHungarian

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
I have read the homeland security rules concerning flying with a handgun as checked baggage. Things are not always as described! If you have (or have attempted) to do so, your experience and helpful hints will be appreciated. I searched the web site, but found nothing (wrong search terms ?). Thanks.

For reference here is the link to the TSA page dealing with firearms and ammo.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Here is what Delta says on their website about "shooting equipment":

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
•Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
•Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
•All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
•Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
•Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard&#8211;sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
•Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
•Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
•You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website.

•If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
•Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains potential projectiles is not allowed.

Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
•Pistol telescopes
•Noise suppressors
•A small pistol tool case
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
•One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools

•One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
•One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition

An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

I've only flown with long guns and if I had a hand gun it was also in the long gun case.

Was pretty spooky opening up this big case with a honking Swiss K-31 and Ruger Mark II in an airport to declare to the ticket agent. Signed the special form and put it in the case, I think. Then had to take the case to the special baggage area.

On the other end, picked up the gun case from the special baggage area.

I've only flown firearms in and out of Texas so I don't have any other experience other than that.

I fly with a firearm fairly often... Pretty straightforward process. Be prepared to tell the agent "I have an unloaded firearm in the bag." Open the bag, USUALLY you then open the lockbox and put in the signed declaration ticket. Some agents will not ask you to open the lockbox... On those occasions I usually state, "OK, generally I need to open the box and place the ticket WITH the unloaded firearm." If they restate that I do not need to open it then I go along with them.
Make sure your name and phone number are on your lockbox! (I have it written on the outside of the gun vault in silver sharpie.) if they open the luggage behind the scenes they can call you for any questions if your info is clearly listed but will hold the bag if there is no phone #.
Every airport is different on where you take the bag once you put the tag in... Just follow instructions and you won't have any trouble. Agents do not often deal with this so just be flexible and courteous and it will go smoothly.

Just a few things I can think of...

Make sure ammo is in factory boxes or plastic reloading boxes taped/banded shut. Some airlines want it separated from the firearms while other don't care, so read your airlines rules.

The firearms declaration can't be visible from the outside, so double-bagging is the best way. Have your locked pistol case inside a normal carry-on for example.

Have a large rubber band around the pistol case you can tuck the declaration under. That way if/when it causes an alert, they will open the carry-on and see the declaration attached to your pistol case. If you put it with the firearm they might either cut your pistol case locks, or hold the bag.

And as mentioned by others, mark your case with a name and contact # just in case. Also for cases, don't use the case the pistol came in, those are generally pretty flimsy and even locked the edges can be pried up. A TSA agent with a chip could invalidate your case for that.

Get a good quality travel case. Also, do not use TSA locks on the pistol case. You are the only person who should be able to open that case. Anything else is illegal.

Bring a printout of the TSA regs and the airline policies. You probably won't need them but if you do, having it there in black & white is priceless.

Be patient and polite. Add at least an hour to your normal travel time so nothing is hurried. And when you book your flight, plan ahead as well. Take direct flights if at all possible. Definitely don't book flights through gun-hating cities like New York, who don't respect federal laws on safe transport and tend to arrest people.

Know the laws at your destination. I just saw a Hilton hotel I used to stay in Houston post their building as banning firearms. In most places it's no big deal, but in TX it's a real crime to ignore those signs. I won't be staying there again but you could get in real trouble if you 'snuck in' a handgun and were discovered somehow.

We've all probably made it sound a lot harder than it is though. Just be friendly, polite and know the rules and it'll be fine.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's easier to overnight it from FFL to FFL, if you are going to a gun friendly area. Costs a couple of bucks, but saves time and hassle at the airport.

I have flown with both handguns and rifles with no issues. Allow extra time for check in.if I travel with handguns I use a single rifle case. It greatly reduces theft due to the larger size. You can ship your gun to yourself without an FFL..

No need to use a FFL.

Mail a rifle or shotgun, or ship (UPS/FEDEX)a handgun to yourself.

https://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry/FAQ-firearms

May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Back
Top Bottom