• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help me NFA Gurus .300BLK vs 5.56 suppressed SBRs

Calebp came up today and did a little shooting with me. We both agreed that 5.56 throughy mini grunt on a 10.5" SBR was easier on the ears than 150gr supersonic 300 BLK out of an 8.5" barrel and my AAC Cyclone. I would bet he buys a mini grunt in the next 6 months.

The Mini Grunt is pretty darn impressive for its size, and for the cost it is going to be tough to beat in the 5.56 mini can category.

I like it on my 10.5", but I think it is perfect on my 12" 5.56. Nice balance, nice suppression, and nice tone.

The Mini Grunt is pretty darn impressive for its size, and for the cost it is going to be tough to beat in the 5.56 mini can category.I like it on my 10.5", but I think it is perfect on my 12" 5.56. Nice balance, nice suppression, and nice tone.
I want to try it on my new 14.5". I think it would be perfect on there.

Calebp came up today and did a little shooting with me. We both agreed that 5.56 throughy mini grunt on a 10.5" SBR was easier on the ears than 150gr supersonic 300 BLK out of an 8.5" barrel and my AAC Cyclone. I would bet he buys a mini grunt in the next 6 months.

True story, the 5.56 was more pleasant than the .300 shooting super. .300 was a much sharper higher pitch tone, 5.56 was just a healthy boom. Both absolutely 100 percent hearing safe.

They both metered below 140db?

Hearing safe*

*disclaimer: safe may mean comfortable or without pain.

But seriously, it depends what you want, some people aren't wringing their hands over OSHA standards or cumulative ear damage. For others hearing comfortable doesn't mean much if they believe they are doing harm to their ears.

I tend to like to get my centerfire supersonic guns just under hearing safe, because I'm already kind of deaf. Anymore than that and it's db reductions you will probably never notice or care about.

They both metered below 140db?

Additionally, most ARs, in either caliber, are not hearing safe even on longer barrels once you consider that the ear readings are what matter for your ears, not muzzle readings.

And to further complicate this, the OSHA 140db rule is for single impulses, not a day on the range.

Back
Top Bottom