• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heat Effecting Cars?

4ssss

Army Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
Yesterday morning when I jumped in my F150 to head out for a walk, I turned the key, and a shot rang out from the truck that scared the heck out of me. The first thing I saw when I went to pop the hood was 3 pieces of plastic on the garage floor in front of the truck. I had a feeling it may have backfired and blew up the plastic around the throttle body. I was close, but it was the battery that blew up, and the top to the battery box was in pieces, and still smokin'. I pushed it out of the garage, thinking the entire electrical system was going to burn, busting a side mirror on a wall on the way out. I was thinking the other day that I had to replace it, fortunate that I got 6 years out of it, but now I guess I'll be replacing them more often. Batteries ain't cheap anymore, and neither are side mirrors, and houses. This is another page in my book of things that never happen to anybody else, they'll happen to me.

IMG_0349.jpeg

Had the same thing happen years ago. Turned key and BOOM!. Battery blew with enough force to bend the hood on my truck. No other damage though.

It was summer but not sure if the heat causes it or just coincidence.

Yesterday morning when I jumped in my F150 to head out for a walk, I turned the key, and a shot rang out from the truck that scared the heck out of me. The first thing I saw when I went to pop the hood was 3 pieces of plastic on the garage floor in front of the truck. I had a feeling it may have backfired and blew up the plastic around the throttle body. I was close, but it was the battery that blew up, and the top to the battery box was in pieces, and still smokin'. I pushed it out of the garage, thinking the entire electrical system was going to burn, busting a side mirror on a wall on the way out. I was thinking the other day that I had to replace it, fortunate that I got 6 years out of it, but now I guess I'll be replacing them more often. Batteries ain't cheap anymore, and neither are side mirrors, and houses. This is another page in my book of things that never happen to anybody else, they'll happen to me.

View attachment 6026735
Before I opened this tread I knew it was going to be a Ford. Not because I'm a "I had rather push a Chevy than drive a ford" kind of guy, which I am. But this is the third time in 2 weeks I've heard about similar issue's. A superintendent and our plumber have both been have troubles starting their trucks in the past few week due to the heat. The superintendent I work with said this happens to him every summer. Best of luck to ya!

My dad had one explode while running down the interstate. He didn’t know what happened until he pulled over and witnessed the battery acid dripping out from under the hood.

Back
Top Bottom