• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

HEART RATE INCREASE WITH LOUD, SUDDEN, SURPRISE NOISES

I see by your avatar that you are a bulldog. I am a shiatzu and have the same problem. lots of dogs have this problem. July 4th is hell on me. I have to take medication to keep from having a heart attack.
My American Staffordshire Terrier was really the same way and it's funny you say that. The 4th of July and thunderstorms he would run to the closet. If I know they're coming The Sounds it's not a problem. What I am in the know so to speak and expect them to come it doesn't bother me it's just what I'm totally relaxed in a state of Harmony and something upsets that balance very suddenly my heart rate skyrockets and my anxiety level shoots to the moon for just a few seconds.

Had the same thing happen to me. High anxiety, sensitive to loud noises and high B/P.
It was one of the B/P meds I was on. Stopped that med and the issues went away. If your on any meds look up the side affects.
I'm not on any BP meds. My blood pressure is right on the money the same time I go in right around 128 over 78 or 120 over 80 somewhere right in there. It's right on the money every single time you could buy stock in it.

Isn't that just called adrenaline? I would think spontaneous loud noises would yield your listed symptoms in any animal
It sounds rational. In my youth though I never got this kind of anxiety response out of it though. It's just been in the last handful of years when it catches me off guard it elicits that response

Nobody can know for sure what their reaction to these kind of stressors will be. Or even what the worst stressors are.

I've come close to being killed a few times now, and not only did I react in a way I never expected, I reacted differently in each case. It's why I laugh when people (especially new gun owners) tell me how they'll react if they get involved in a DGU.

Net net - if you're suffering what you believe is a disproportionate response to a stressor such as loud noises - go see a doctor. If you have some way of measuring your heart rate and/or blood pressure when it occurs, that's good data too.

It sounds rational. In my youth though I never got this kind of anxiety response out of it though. It's just been in the last handful of years when it catches me off guard it elicits that response
Happens to me as well. It used to be especially bad shortly after a coworker ND'd next to my face. I remember a track light popped and I went straight to 100.

Either way, sounds like your fight or flight engaging and since you realize there's nothing to do either from you're just stuck sitting there, adrenaline pumping. Or maybe I'm full of ****, I don't know. I'm not a psychologist

Happens to me as well. It used to be especially bad shortly after a coworker ND'd next to my face. I remember a track light popped and I went straight to 100.

Either way, sounds like your fight or flight engaging and since you realize there's nothing to do either from you're just stuck sitting there, adrenaline pumping. Or maybe I'm full of ****, I don't know. I'm not a psychologist
Sounds dead on to my situation. I remember my wife would see something I did wrong and was in the shower just relaxing trying to take a peaceful shower and she rages in and I didn't hear she ripped open the shower curtain and screaming in my face " did you do this? ". I swear I was going to drop dead in my tracks from a heart attack. She actually saw the expression on my face and wasn't mad anymore. She ended up laughing and apologized to me. You got no where to go and nothing you can do but absorb the anxiety hit. It's awful!

My American Staffordshire Terrier was really the same way and it's funny you say that. The 4th of July and thunderstorms he would run to the closet. If I know they're coming The Sounds it's not a problem. What I am in the know so to speak and expect them to come it doesn't bother me it's just what I'm totally relaxed in a state of Harmony and something upsets that balance very suddenly my heart rate skyrockets and my anxiety level shoots to the moon for just a few seconds.
my dog can sense bad weather coming way before I do. He will come find me and stay close by me and I then go look outside and it will be raining or any inclement weather. If it thunders he's a panting shaking mess until he gets some medication to calm him down.

my dog can sense bad weather coming way before I do. He will come find me and stay close by me and I then go look outside and it will be raining or any inclement weather. If it thunders he's a panting shaking mess until he gets some medication to calm him down.
Same thing for the Staffing my screen pic. He was so sweet. I felt so bad for him. Poor thing. He could hear thunder long before we could hear it.

Noises are not my problem The last year or so I have developed claustrophobia I can’t even ride in the back seat of a car for the first 60 years of my life it wasn’t a problem I worked for the phone company crawling under houses, worked in tight spots all the time I was a volunteer firefighter never had a problem till the last year or two I guess that’s part of getting older

Back
Top Bottom