• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

He deserved more...

I am a firm believer in the death penalty. I do not know the details of this case however. But I also believe it should be irrefutable evidence, circumstantial evidence should not warrant the death penalty. Too many folks go to jail based on circumstantial evidence later to find out innocent.

I have also considered that punishment should match the crime. You torture someone, you should be tortured the same way. Slit a throat, yours gets slit, shoot someone, you get shot, baseball bat, so on. Of course there are limits.

I also agree with doing it in public at the town square. Make sure the perps know what is going to happen.

Rosewood

I think he got his intro to Hell, well enough...

...and I don't support the writer's feelings. I just wonder how long his stabbing victim took to die.

I would absolutely refuse to sit on a death penalty case. My reason, my Grandfather was murdered in 1958 when a young man came into his Radio and TV repair shop early one morning. The young man had asked Luke (my Grandfather) to come in early to fix his car radio because the young man was getting married later that day and they wanted to be able to listen to the radio on the drive to the honeymoon. Luke obliged and opened early and repaired the radio for the young man. They walked back in the shop, and the young man noticed the pistol that hung on the wall behind the register. He lunged for the pistol, turned and shot Luke dead. Took his wallet and the money in the register. Left the pistol and drove away. He was caught shortly after that and was sentenced to death by the electric chair. The jury found him guilty and sentenced him to die.

He went to death row and due to many appeals and stays he sat there for 25 years. Georgia did away with the death penalty and he still sat there. The courts, in their infinite wisdom, decided he had suffered enough sitting there waiting to die all those years. They let him out. He's a happily married man now, older than me and while I have no ill will against him at this point in life, I still wonder, if a jury decides someone should die for their crime, how can it be right for the courts to change their mind and let them go free?

Would I sit on a death penalty case knowing that after we find, beyond doubt that the individual is guilty and should die for his crime, that sometime in the future I may be walking down the street and meeting that individual being fat, dumb and happy but also alive? Not happening

This! We've become a society without consequences. Good or bad.
Hard working people are simply beaten down and taxed into oblivion.....no real incentive there to excel.
Criminals are simply slapped on the wrist and turned back out to prey on people again.........no real incentive there to be a normal, non-criminal member of society.
The system itself is broken, and until there's incentives and consequences for one's actions and performance...........there'll be no change in society.
Public hangings, swift and accurate trials for criminals, and more fear of their victims shooting them in the face (twice) would help with making some thug think twice about committing crimes.
There's nothing barbaric or inhumane about the execution of a murderer, rapist, or molester of children. It does strike me as inhumane to allow the victims and families of victims to go without closure and justice for years, or decades.
All that said, vengeance is not ours, and nothing above is about vengeance. It is simply the truth about having a society without consequences and the "kid gloves" treatment of violent criminals.
Well said!

What if…

What if several years ago while he was in prison, he was baptized in the name of the Lord where he trusted Jesus with the forgiveness of all his sins and promised to follow Him all the days of his life?

Would the fact his spirit ascended and he now sits in the Glory of Heaven change your mind?

I mean, who’s to say he didn’t repent in prison? We don’t know his story. If one believes in the Heaven and Hell of scripture, surely one believes in the Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness of Christ.
Then he would given peace after justice was served.

And if he was truly repentant he would agree with the punishment.

Anyone who sits on death row for 36 years will of course become a “born again Christian “ which is more than likely not genuine. i think they should be dealt with sooner than that and should burn in hell especially for a brutal murder, and the so called preacher that hired him.
Usually starts the first few days. I saw it again and again, jail house religion, forgotten as soon as they walk out the door.

If The traditional lethal injection drugs are too hard to find, or a pharmaceutical companies won't allow them to be sold to the state to be used to kill,

or if a certain person does not have a good network of veins into which such drugs can be injected...

why not just use fentanyl?

fentanyl kills people Stone dead just by inhaling its dust or touching it on your skin!

When did GA do away with the death penalty? I thought we executed someone just last year up in Jackson??
They did away with it and then after several years brought it back. The let him go instead of executing him. The Supreme Court struck the penalty down in 1972 and it was reinstated in 1976.

Back
Top Bottom