• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Having reloading issues!!

Beerman

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
116   0
Reaction score
I just got all my stuff to start. I have a Lee four hole press with all the toys. I haven't loaded a single round due to the fact that I am trying to get it set up. I have the big issue of bulges In the brass on one side or another when I seat the bullet into the casing. Am I flaring it to much or not enough?? The depth is almost where I want it, but I get that problem every time. I want to do this right and not half assed. That will be trouble. Anyone in my area like to come and show me what a tard I am? I really like this and want to do it, I just want to do it right.

Last edited:
It could be one of the following:
!. the brass has not been resized properly. I resize new brass also.
2. If you are using cast bullets they may need sizing to a smaller diameter
3. you need to bevel the mouth of the case
4. The case needs additional flaring. Don't over do it though.

Hope this helps.

One of two things from what I gather. It sounds like you need to open up the case just a bit more. The trick is just enough to get it started. To much it can split or no go in the seating die. To little the bullet will snag the rim and drag it down with it. Lee dies are pretty good on not belling too much or to little but they are not as adjustable as rcbs. The belling miss adjustment usually will leave a ripple and tear like a sticker that only the middle comes in glued when you pull it. The second thing is the seated is not adjusted properly. This can leave a bulge if your crimp is finished before your seating is done. I like the rcbs here putting a loaded shell in the screw down get the crop right then get the seat right. Lee just says raise to top screw in back out that usually works. The big key have a factory round to compare and small adjustments. If you can post a pic that would be more helpfull to get it exact.

I just got all my stuff to start. I have a Lee four hole press with all the toys. I haven't loaded a single round due to the fact that I am trying to get it set up. I have the big issue of bulges In the brass on one side or another when I seat the bullet into the casing. Am I flaring it to much or not enough?? The depth is almost where I want it, but I get that problem every time. I want to do this right and not half assed. That will be trouble. Anyone in my area like to come and show me what a tard I am? I really like this and want to do it, I just want to do it right.
Sounds like a misajusted seating die or not enough mouth flare on the case. Setting up a seater die can be tricky make sure that you are not crimping at the same time you are trying to seat the bullet. Flare on the case should be just enough to set the bullet in and it stays by itsself and is flush. It is good that chuckdog is willing to help you some hands on training is VERY good and essential to learning IMO. We all have to have help sometime.:D

I am not crimping the finished product. I have heard you dont have to on 9MM. I will see if this pic will work..

184b81db.jpg

I am not crimping the finished product. I have heard you dont have to on 9MM. I will see if this pic will work..

View attachment 125112

Have you used your calipers to measure the diameter of the bullet? Make sure that it is NOT for a 9mm Makarov (it would be .365 if it is). It looks kinda like in the picture that maybe you don't have enough case mouth flare. Make sure you have enough flare that you can "lock" the bullet on the top without having to hold it on. You don't want a lot, for case life, and you don't want too little either. Just for grins and giggles readjust the seater die up 2 more turns to eliminate the possiblity of premature crimping.

I did check them and they were .355. Should I crimp them?

Most straight wall pistol case dies have a built in crimp. When you adjust the die down on a primed and flred case until it touches then you back it off 3 FULL turns. This prevents the die from closing the flare that you put in the case mouth. After you set the die you DON'T move it you only move the bullet seater plug inside the die up or down. The way I set it up is by placing a powder filled bullet on top ready case into the shell holder after the die has been properly adjusted of course. Then you run the shellholder to the top of the stroke and run the plug down until you feel pressure then turn the plug 4 turns while continuing to hold the shellholder at the top stroke. now pull the shell down and check you OAL with calipers. Repeat as nessesary. Now to crimp the round with the same die, adjust the bullet plug all the way up until it almost come out of the die, next move the shellholder with loaded ammo that you have seated to the very top. Move the full die body down until you feel it contact the case, the go 1/4 to 3/8 turn set the die. If all of your cases are trimmed to the same length place one at the time in the shellholder and run the ram all the way up and viola! you have a crimped case. I personally crimp all my auto pistol cases, just personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom