• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hard to believe…

I remember making long distance calls and the operator getting on the line and asking what my telephone number was, so they could bill the call to us. We used to always give a number that was 1 digit off from ours and never got charged for it. I wonder how many of those others had to pay for or if they denied making them and got them removed?
you know, Jebus frowns on that........

It's funny how the 'information flow' progressed, in the 80's a majority of the information we received was through one of three news channels (ABC, NBC, and CBS) - we found out what was happening around the world post-incident or through a "breaking news brief". In the 90's early 2000's we were exposed to more information than we could process and knew what was happening around the world in real-time, thanks to 24 hours news channels and the internet. Now, with social media, the internet, and privately owned news outlets we are deluged with so much misinformation NOBODY knows what is actually going on anywhere!
Well, just go back to watching ABC/CBS/NBC one hour a day. That'll fix all the problems. :boink:

Bigger problem is the quality of the "reporting".

Well, just go back to watching ABC/CBS/NBC one hour a day. That'll fix all the problems. :boink:

Bigger problem is the quality of the "reporting".
Don't get me wrong, I watch about 15 minutes of news in the morning when I am getting ready for work. We watch a combination of FOX, BBC news, and SKYnews, it's just difficult to know what is true and what is not. I'm certain that the news has always been sanitized prior to release but I think it has gone far past sanitization all the way to misinformation (maybe it has always been that way). I try to do research on the internet to see what is going on around the world but just like the news stations...it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the information you are receiving is real/true.

How about 5-digit dialing? Anyone remember? I could dial, 6-xxxx and get the number in Athens.
Dialing the area code? HA!
Or picking up and waiting for an operator to come on, ask ‘number, please’ and then connect you to your party by way of plug-in cords at her console.

My friend Ray would call random numbers until he got some old lady. He'd tell her he was from southern bell and talk her into "renewing the graphite in the handset" by using a common, well sharpened, number 4 pencil.

Back
Top Bottom