• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Happy Birthday to Gregory “Pappy” Boyington

I read his book a long time ago....need to read it again!

Believe it ends with him sayin' "show me any hero and I'll prove he's a bum."

1701781255584.png

A couple of things:

I met, and cared for Frank Walton, who was the Air Combat Info Officer for VMFA-214 in WW2, while I was at Tripler Army Medical Center in the 90s. He was "chosen" because he was apparently the one guy that Pappy wouldn't agree to wrestle when inebriated. I have, or had, a copy of his book, "Once They Were Eagles". He was very humble, very very low key. He was the first guy from whom I heard that Greg Boyington had been a tea-totaler in his early life.

Some liberal idiots in Boyington's native Washington were upset that there was a monument to him on the Univ of Washington campus. The students called him a baby killer etc. The student organization was called to task: "One post from a Web logger read: “I’m angry about this. … How dare these snot nose, hemp-wearing, pot smoking, drum beating, dreadlock wearing, ‘gee when is the financial aid check going to arrive,’ brat kids diss Pappy Boyington?”"

And, for trivia, he was of Sioux descent, and the unit crest for VMFA-214 has the black band which signifies a "bastard" lineage in heraldry. They wanted to be called Boyington's Bastards, but the Marines (Navy command) said "no", so they snuck it in.

Back
Top Bottom